Chapter 41

Despite sitting around the fire that was burning away, Eleanor found herself shivering in the bitter evening breeze. Charlie had, once again, wrapped her up in one of his own coats before they left to join the others around the firepit, something that made her stomach flip with affection for him. He sat next to her, his knee touching hers as he conversed happily with the man she had now come to know as Rich. Every so often, he would pause his conversation to turn back to her, checking if she was okay. She was having a lovely time, but she was having a hard time concentrating on any conversations herself when all she could focus on was the way that Charlie's hand was gripping onto the glass of firewhiskey he was drinking. It made her blush a little to think of the way that everything he did was so effortlessly attractive.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by Rich who had asked her what she does back at home, which she happily shared with him, seeing as it was technically how she and Charlie met. He was a nice guy, tall and broad with a mess of light-brown hair. He appeared slightly younger than Charlie, maybe even younger than Eleanor herself, but he seemed to know what he was doing. They had been sitting under the stars, warming their hands on the fire and their stomachs with a variety of drinks when a new person emerged from the trees to join the party. When a few people on the opposite side of the fire pit spoke up to greet the mystery person, Eleanor's attention was pulled from her conversation. She looked up, accidentally meeting the eye of the person who had just sat down almost immediately opposite her. It was a woman, who looked to be around their age. She was intimidatingly beautiful, with short, black hair, sharp features and dark eyes. Feeling inexplicably uneasy as the woman held her stare, Eleanor offered a polite smile before turning away, nestling into Charlie's side which encouraged him to wrap his arm around her. She couldn't be sure of it, but she felt that the woman was still looking in her direction. However, she was too cowardly to turn back and check it out.

After a few more drinks, she soon forgot about the woman sitting opposite her and indulged in a ridiculous conversation with Charlie and Jim that had her stomach hurting as she laughed with them. Charlie couldn't help but admire Eleanor, gazing at her with affection as she conversed with his friends. This trip couldn't have gone better and he felt a newfound closeness with Eleanor after sharing this part of his life with her.

Eleanor sat with her head leaning against Charlie's arm. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt so at ease and so happy. A zoo of butterflies erupted in her stomach when Charlie leaned down to kiss the top of her head, nestling his face into her hair as he spoke gently to her.

"You okay love?" he asked her. His heart jolted when she looked up at him with a content smile on her face.

"I'm wonderful," she murmured.

Their eyes locked for a few seconds before he couldn't help himself; he needed to kiss her. He dipped his head, hooking a gentle finger under her chin to tilt her head up. His lips brushed over hers softly, their breath mingling before he kissed her. Fire in her veins was the only way that Eleanor could explain how he made her feel. His mouth tasted of the firewhiskey he'd been drinking and she decided that it was her new favourite taste. His hand moved to cup her cheek, deeping their kiss as he teasingly pushed his tongue into her mouth. She matched his fervour and clutched onto the material of his coat to keep herself grounded. Their kiss had her mind swimming, unable to think of anything else other than the feeling of his mouth on hers. However, it was soon brought to an abrupt stop when Eleanor felt a body sit down next to hers and clearing their throat. She reluctantly pulled away, offering Charlie a dazed smile before she turned to the person on her left.

"You must be Eleanor," the black-haired, dark-eyed woman said in greeting.

Eleanor stuttered, not expecting her to be the person interrupting them. She felt Charlie's body stiffen slightly beside her, not helping the strange vibes she was getting from this woman.