Chapter 11

At the night wore on, Eleanor became more and more comfortable with the new people around her. George seemed much happier after their chat in the kitchen, and was more loved up than ever with Angie. She watched with a smile on her face as they cuddled up in the chair together, laughing at Ginny thrashing Ron at muggle beer-pong.
"Are you paying attention, Ellie?" she heard Charlie laugh, snapping her out of her thoughts and bringing her back to the present. Charlie was attempting to teach her how to play a muggle card game, something about the numbers having to add up to 21, and her fizzy brain was making it a bit difficult to focus.
"Sorry," she giggled sheepishly. "They're just really cute,". She leaned into Charlie slightly, pointing to the loved-up couple across the room. He followed her gaze and smiled warmly, before turning back to face Eleanor. She sat atop the arm of the chair next to him, smiling down at him. Her stomach flipped when his eyes met hers, seeing him send her a gentle smile.
"He really deserves somebody nice," Charlie said eventually, not taking his eyes off Eleanor's.
Without missing a beat, Eleanor replied "You all do. Your family... From what I know, is amazing,".
Charlie grinned, and without warning, wrapped his arm around Eleanor's waist and dragged her down into the chair right beside him. She squealed, giggling as her body was now pressed right up against Charlie's broad warmth in the small seat together. "That's awfully sappy of you, love. Just how drunk are you?" he teased, his hand still around her waist as his fingers lightly dug into her side to make her squirm.
Eleanor caught his hand behind her with her own, stopping him from tickling her further as she giggled. Her skin prickled as it made contact with his, her heart beating erratically in her chest as they looked at each other. He stopped his movements, stilling to allow Eleanor to hold onto his large hand. Eleanor gazed up at him, her green eyes sparkling, and Charlie was sure he'd never seen a more beautiful sight. Her cheeks were tinged pink from the heat of the room, her faint dusting of pale freckles peppered across her nose barely visible. His breath caught the longer he gazed at her.
"You're beautiful," he found himself murmuring, reaching his free hand up to tuck a stray curl behind her ear out of her face. His knuckle grazed against her warm cheek, the small action sending a million tiny fireworks through her body.
"So are you," she whispered back unknowingly. Her gaze fell to his lips, perfectly pink and plump, slightly chapped from all of the work in the sun he'd done in the past. She felt herself being pulled towards them, as though he was a magnet. She swore their lips were about to brush, and her heart was hammering, when Bill walked into the room with Fleur informing everybody that they were going to head home. Charlie inwardly groaned and Eleanor attempted to distance herself from him, as much as she really didn't want to. Charlie stood up to say goodbye to his brother, leaving Eleanor feeling rather cold in the space. She sat and thought about what had just happened. Was she really about to kiss Charlie?

A few hours later, Eleanor found herself starting to feel sleepy. A lot of the others had already left, and things were evidently starting to wind down. Charlie was standing in the kitchen talking to Ron when Eleanor decided it was time for her to head home. She picked up her coat and bag, bidding goodbye to George and Angie, as well as Ginny, before making her way to the door. She paused, gazing through the open door towards the kitchen where Charlie stood, watching as he laughed with his brother. She decided against disturbing him, and turned to leave through the door. She was halfway down the steps outside when she heard the door open again behind her.
"Ellie!". Her heart leapt at the sound. "You don't think you're leaving without saying goodbye, do you?". Charlie swiftly made his way down the stairs to catch up with her.
"I'm sorry," she smiled as she looked up at him. "You were busy and I didn't want to disturb,". Charlie gently grabbed hold of her hands with his own, engulfing them in his large ones.
"Always disturb, Ellie. Please,". He let go of one hand, keeping ahold of the other and lacing his fingers through hers. "Come on, I'll walk you back,". Charlie was holding her hand. What?!
"I had a really nice time," Eleanor said gently as they walked back through the deserted alley. The cold air nipped at her face, but the warmth of the body next to hers felt as though she was close to the sun.
Charlie gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "I did too. I'm so glad you came,".
"Me too," she smiled. "Thank you,".
It didn't take long for them to reach the outside of her tiny shop and flat, both of them coming to a halt. Eleanor wasn't sure what to do, her hand still in Charlie's as they stood in the empty street.
"Thank you for walking me back," she said, turning to face him, gently tugging her hand away to allow him to leave. He didn't move.
"Ellie?" he asked, his voice gravelly and deep. She looked up at him and hummed in response, met with the sight of him licking his lips and opening his mouth a couple of times to speak. "Can I... Would you maybe want to go out with me some time?".
Eleanor's eyes widened as her stomach flipped manically. "Like a date?" she asked pathetically.
Charlie took a step closer to her, reaching up to tease a stray curl softly. "Yeah, just like a date,".
"I-I'd love to," Eleanor nodded, just as Charlie's hand left her curl and cupped her cheek, his thumb grazing gently across the smooth skin. They instinctively leaned closer to each other, Eleanor's chest pressed up against his broad torso.
"Can I kiss you?" he whispered as he dipped his head, his lips lingering dangerously close to her own, so much she could feel his warm breath on hers.
"Absolutely," she whispered back. He wasted no time in connecting their lips, softly and sweetly. His hand went from her cheek to the back of her neck, weaving through her waves and tilting her head back to give him more access. Eleanor gasped slightly and clutched at the material of his shirt, bunching it through her fingers as she kissed him back. He pulled her closer by snaking his other arm around her waist as their lips moved in sync against each other, fire igniting in her veins. She was sure she'd never felt so giddy before, nothing had ever felt so right.
As they pulled apart, chasing each other's lips slightly, Charlie rested his forehead against hers as Eleanor sighed with delight.
"Wow," she breathed, her palms resting against his chest.
"I swear I've wanted to do that since I met you," he admitted, his finger tracing lightly on her cheek. "I'll let you get to bed. I'll see you soon, with a date for our date, yeah?".