Chapter 30

It was only a couple of days from Christmas. Eleanor really should have been focusing on her work, with her dozens of orders to prepare, as well as her Christmas shopping, but she couldn't seem to stop daydreaming long enough to get anything done. It appeared that being infatuated was indeed a dangerous concept for the inexperienced woman. Finn wasn't working today, which meant that Eleanor had to juggle being out the front of the shop with Darcie as well as getting stuck into the orders. In between serving, Darcie was adamant on adding a little 'christmas spirit' to the shop, weaving fairy lights and tinsel through every crevice and surface she could find.

"What do you mean you don't have a Christmas tree!?" she practically screeched at Eleanor when the topic arose.

"Well my flat is really tiny and–," Eleanor began pleading her case.

"Sorry, but that's total crap!" Darcie protested. "Sorry, but I've seen your flat and there is definitely a perfect little spot just by your record player that would look just peachy with a little tree!".

"Well I think it's a bit late now isn't it. I mean... It's like 2 days til Christmas. Where am I gonna find a tree now?".

"Huh," was all Darcie said. "Hey, mind if I take my lunch now it's a bit quieter? Back in 10,". Before Eleanor could even respond, Darcie had whipped off her apron and was out of the door, not even taking her coat with her.

"Sure," Eleanor muttered to herself. She began sprinkling a dusting of icing sugar and brown sugar over the top of her mince pies that she'd made earlier, smiling to herself as the nostalgic aroma floated around, filling her nostrils. Whilst she was lost in her own little world, the bell on the door chimed to indicate that a customer had entered. Eleanor looked up and a large smile immediately spread across her face when she spotted the familiar redhead.

"George!" she greeted enthusiastically. "It's great to see you. How are you doing?".

George ducked in through the door and sent Eleanor a smile that didn't quite meet his eyes. She noticed that his eyes lacked sparkle, his skin appearing dull. His hair was slightly outgrown and dishevelled.

"Hey Ellie. I'm doing alright. I just came for a coffee if that's alright,".

Eleanor's heart lurched and all she wanted to do was wrap him up in a tight hug. After finding out a little more about the grief he was so clearly going through, she wished she could take it all away from him. She knew exactly how it felt, and it was something she wouldn't even wish upon her worst enemy... Not that she had one. That constant pit in the depths of your stomach, the invisible dark cloud looming over your head, feeling like you're constantly being rained upon, the sensation that everybody else's life is moving on, their world continuing to rotate but yours is stuck in the motions.

"You know I'm always happy to see you here, George. Why don't you stay a little? It's a bit quiet right now I could use the company," she offered, already beginning to brew his coffee just the way he liked it.

He let out a deep sigh, his shoulders sagging but the tension he held in them still obvious. "I can't," he muttered. "I've got too much to do and don't trust Charlie to get it done,".

Eleanor had to stifle a laugh at that part. She could tell that George was very particular about certain things, and his and Charlie's working styles clearly clashed often. "I understand," she told him. "But George..." she caught his attention, urging him to look at her.

"Hm?".

"I just want you to know that I'm always here whenever you need me. Truly. I know that Christmas can be the most magical, but most shitty time of the year for various reasons and I just want you to know that I understand,".