Chapter 9

It was Wednesday and Eleanor was busy closing up the shop so she could head to her Dad's for dinner. The November air was bitter, a fierce chill lacing the breeze as it crept in from under the door. With her thick, woollen scarf wrapped tight around her neck, Eleanor was about to step out of the door when a familiar-looking owl dropped a Manila envelope to the ground just in front of her. She didn't think too much of it, only hastily picking it up and shoving it into her coat pocket as she locked the door with her wand and made her way towards The Leaky Cauldron to use the floo network.

She shivered lightly as she stepped through the door of the ancient establishment, the scent of stale alcohol filling the air as she strode with purpose through the room whilst giving a friendly nod to Tom. Being completely distracted by what she was doing, she was completely unaware of a pair of deep green eyes that spotted her just a second too late, a fraction before she was engulfed by the roaring green flames.

"What's with the wandering eye, Charles?" Bill Weasley questioned his younger brother with a smirk and a raised eyebrow. Charlie lazily moved his eyes from the spot they had been trained on for the past few moments.
"Er... Nothing,". He cleared his throat and picked up his glass of firewhiskey, giving it a gentle swirl before taking a hearty sip.
"Anyway... You said Friday evening, right? At Fr— erm, George's place?" Bill questioned as his eyes flicked around the room, eagerly awaiting the arrival of his wife.
"Yep," Charlie nodded. "He said to get there for like 7, but I'll be there anyway because mum's driving me mad at home at the moment,". The boys shared a laugh and Bill gave an exaggerated nod.
"Must be about time to start thinking about your own place, eh?".
Charlie shrugged. "Dunno, mate. Not sure how long I'll be around here for if I'm honest,". As he spoke the words, he couldn't help the way his mind wandered to the thought of a certain wild-haired, brunette girl. Would he be here for long? Only time could tell.

Eleanor arrived in her father's fireplace in a tangle of limbs. It was certainly an ungraceful landing and her clothes and face ended up covered in soot. She groaned and brushed herself down, feeling the envelope in her pocket crinkle with the action. She pulled it out of her pocket and tore it open as she made her way through the living room and towards the kitchen where she could smell her dad's roast cooking away.

"Hey dad!" She called out, pulling a letter out of the envelope. "It smells amazing in here,".
"Hi sweetheart,". Her dad's face appeared from behind the door, a beaming smile on his tired face. "You're late today,".
Eleanor groaned again. "It's been mad today! I don't know why. It must be the turn of the weather or something," she giggled. She fell silent as she read the letter in her hands;

Ellie,
7pm on Friday- hope you can still make it! We've got some muggle games to play that Angie and Lee have been banging on about, hope that's okay with you.
George
P.s. I know that somebody is very excited to see you!

An unconscious blush rose on her cheeks as she read the last sentence. Somebody was very excited to see her? She could only hope that meant Charlie. But was that completely ridiculous? Why would he be excited to see her?
"What've you got there?" Christopher asked, leaning his head over Eleanor's shoulder to be nosey.
"Just a letter," she grinned. "I've been invited to a friend's house on Friday,". She felt somewhat like a small child invited to their first birthday party. She was 25, for goodness sake!

"That's great, Eleanor!" Christopher smiled widely.
Eleanor had a wonderful evening in the company of her dad, and her heart was beating with anticipation the entire time as she willed Friday to come around. What would she wear? Should she bring pastries or a cake? It was all so alien to her!

It was getting late by the time she decided to leave and The Leaky Cauldron was almost empty as she passed back through it. The streets of Diagon Alley felt eerie as a light fog began to descend, casting a strange glow under the street lamps. Her footsteps echoed against the cobblestones as she walked hastily, wishing her shop was closer. As she was around ⅔ of the way home, an uneasy feeling passed over her body, the hairs on the back of her neck standing to attention and her heart beginning to beat a little faster in her chest. She almost felt as though... As though she wasn't alone. She threw a quick glance over her shoulder, seeing only an empty street, before picking up her pace. At long last, her little blue shop came into view and she went to breathe a sigh of relief before a deep voice behind her startled her to the point she lost her footing and lurched forward, almost kissing the pavement before a strong force caught her around the waist.

"Merlin, Ellie!" the voice was now familiar to her. "I am so sorry, are you okay?". Eleanor whipped around as soon as she was back on her feet, her heart leaping when she spotted the wide eyes of Charlie.
"Charlie!" She gasped, clutching a hand to her chest. "Wh-what are you doing here?".
"I uh... Was in the pub when you walked through. I was going to offer to walk you home, but you were gone before I could even stand!" He explained sheepishly. "You move fast,".
Eleanor chuckled despite her racing heart. "So you followed me?". She cocked an eyebrow playfully.
"I— no, it wasn't...".
"I'm only joking," Eleanor giggled. "You did startle me though,".
"I'm really sorry about that," Charlie grimaced and ran a hand through his thick, fiery curls.
"It's okay, really,". A pause, both not knowing where to go next. "Do you um... Would you like to come in for a drink with me? Seeing as you're here?". Wow, that was brave, Eleanor thought to herself.
Charlie's face lit up like a flame. "Really? I.. I'd love to!".

A/n: sorry, I know this is really dull! I promise it will get better x