Chapter 21

"Are you joking? It's my birthday, why should I answer it?" an amused voice rang out through the kitchen of The Burrow. "I didn't hear anyone knock anyway."

"Just bloody open the door you prat," another voice called back.

"Alright fine!" he huffed, walking towards the door. As he placed a hand on the handle, he turned his head back towards the kitchen. "If this is one of your stupid jokes, I'll chuck you in the pond,". Laughing at his brother's response, he shook his head and turned back to the door, pulling it open lazily. When he saw that there was in fact somebody on the other side, he froze. When he realised who that person was, he was damn sure his heart stopped. He subconsciously raised his hand to his hair, running his fingers through it in an attempt to flatten the grown-out strands. He failed to realise that his hand was shaking as he stared, open-mouthed, at the person in front of him.

"...Hi," Eleanor managed to squeak out. Her green eyes were wide and her cheeks pink, a stark contrast against the rest of her pale face. How she didn't throw up in that instance, she'd never know.

"Hi," Charlie replied breathlessly. It was literally as though the sight of her had knocked the wind right out of him. He felt light-headed and giddy.

Charlie's mouth was dry as he gazed at Eleanor. He felt as though he hadn't seen her for ages, and it physically pained him. He'd almost forgotten just how beautiful she was, almost certain he'd been over-playing it in his head... But no... she really did look like that. He'd never seen her with her curls tied back that way before, and he thought it looked amazing. He could see the entirety of her face, her deep-green eyes, the faint peppering of freckles scattered across her nose and cheeks.

"Um... Is George here?" Eleanor asked timidly, clutching onto the large box in her hands.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear," a voice sounded out from behind Charlie. "Hello, Ellie!" George greeted enthusiastically. "How wonderful to see you here,".

"I have Percy's birthday cake," she blurted out, not sure what else to say, holding the box out.

"Percy's birthday cake?" Charlie questioned, sending George a perplexed look. "What's going on?".

"Ah... I may have told a small lie," George announced. "You see, Ellie, it's actually our Charlie's birthday today!" he said, clapping Charlie on the back. "This ancient git turns 28 today, can you believe it?".

Eleanor floundered, her heart rate increasing when she realised what had happened, and Charlie was simply confused. He stared at his brother, the cogs whirring in his brain until he shook his head, pushing his tongue against the inside of his cheek. "I'm gonna kill you," he uttered lowly.

"Oh come on! Don't be like that..." George giggled, holding his hands up and backing away. "You've been pining for ages, neither of you would do anything about it! At least if you're both in the same room you might talk it out...".

Charlie let out a deep breath, running his hand through his hair again. He turned to Eleanor and offered her an apologetic look. "I'm so sorry about this," he murmured. "I had no idea he put you up to this,".

"Take the damn cake, George," Eleanor eventually managed to choke out. She tried to avoid looking Charlie in the eye, knowing she'd be on her knees if she did. "I'm sorry to intrude on your birthday... I hope you like the cake," she babbled, thrusting the cake box into his hands and turning to scuttle away.

Charlie would be damned if he let her get away again. He practically threw the cake box into George's arms, flashing him a warning look before taking all four steps in one go, jogging after Eleanor down the driveway. "Ellie, wait!" he called out. "Please stop,". He managed to catch her up, gently grabbing ahold of her hand to halt her, letting go instantly when she turned around.