three

time skip lol

soldiers began returning sparsely, wounded men being heaved up onto the temporary base set up along wall maria. ezekiel stood beside commander erwin of the survey corps, both observing the scene.

thankfully, the special ops team were called in earlier that week when things began to grow dark for their deployed units. after much comprehension and pleading, ezekiel allowed me to serve on this mission. however, it seemed as people returned with bandages and broken limbs, the fun had already commenced and long departed. a girl with dark brown hair pulled firmly into a ponytail ransacked the camp for food.

"y/n!" ezekiel called, his fingers curling signalling for me to join him and commander erwin. after prying the arms of the brunette from me, who begged for more meat, i joined them.

"is everything alright?" i questioned, noticing the deadpan expression on both of them.

"there's been sightings of an abnormal, 17 meters tall. by the sounds of it, he's human controlled. can manipulate other titans around it." ezekiel informed me, causing me to bite my lip. strange occurrences had become mundane recently.

"another one?" my voice raised in pitch.

"104th unit were stuck in utgard castle just outside the wall. said they managed to clear all titans until the abnormal - who they called "the beast" - caused a stampede more to attack them." erwin spoke up, his expression not faltering.

"104th? that's historias unit, is she okay?" i began to panic, frantically looking around for her amongst the injured soldiers.

"she's fine, i had someone check." ezekiel eased me, placing a firm hand on my shoulder.

"how did they get out?" i queried, knowing if they struggled with a few pests around the castle, a dozen should have killed them instantly.

"we aren't sure, but they managed." erwin shrugged-

"promise me you'll do anything to protect her." i begged ymir, holding her hands in mine. my eyes stung trying to fight back the tears caused by having to leave my historia.

"i promise. there's nothing i wouldn't do."

"sasha braus, she was one of the arrivals that collected the deserted group." erwin motioned towards the girl who previously begged me for more rations - "she should be able to tell us something. she seemed too shaken up earlier to understand a word she said."

"i'll deal with it." i promised, knowing the way i could possibly get her to talk. i left the two commanders, back towards the group of injured. rummaging through my belongings, i pulled out a pack of meat and rice rations i had for this mission.

"braus!" i called, spotting the girl beside an almost bald headed boy. i raised the rations in the air as she met my eyes, causing them to ignite.

"is that for me?" she questioned, her eyes pulsating as she stared at the silver package in my hand.

"if you do something for me."

"whatever you want." she stood up straight and raised a hand to her forehead in salute. i held back a laugh. 

"tell me about 'the beast'"

"well he's tall, really hairy and walked like a monkey." she spoke too quickly, causing me to stand for a moment comprehending her words.

"that's not enough, braus." my eyes narrowed. her face contorted into a frown, her eyes looking down at the mass of concrete below her feet.

"i'm sorry, i didn't see him." i could have sworn i saw tears form in her eyes at her confession, likely due to the food. however, her head raised hastily as though she had an idea.