four

a single flare signalled to ezekiel and myself where the recruits headed. as we drew nearer, the still area devoid of titans began to grow concerning. that was, until, a stampede of titans were scouted out to be headed for the flare.

"shit." ezekiel cursed as he brought his horse to a stop. i caught up to him, too stopping once i reached him. i tried to gather more sight on the situation, but the bodies of many titans running disrupted me.

"where are they going?"

"towards the recruits it seems like. look, someones leading them." ezekiel points towards a gap in between the herd, which allowed me to witness a single soldier on a horse coercing the titans.

"the fuck are they doing." i seethed, growing weary for their plans. i gained speed on my horse again, ezekiel shortly followed behind me as i advanced towards the commotion. the horses legs couldn't go any faster, yet was painfully slow in a moment like this. the field slowly grew shorter as the herd grew closer.

"charge!" erwins distinct voice was heard above the sound of dozens of titans running, causing the recruits to attach their odm gear onto trees or any hospitable thing, heading for ymir and reiner. i noticed how ymir held historia protectively, causing fury to ignite inside of me.

reiner heads towards the herd in attempt to ease some of the pressure, however the sheer number threw him off. erwin became stuck in the band, and i witness how some soldiers died in the combat.

mikasa, a recruit for 104th ambushes bertolt, however is weakly disrupted as they boy gets grabbed by a titan. jean, however, attached his odm gear on its nape, killing it with a lethal brush of his blade. armin reaches the scene once bertolt is brought to safety, exchanging words which causes the brunette to turn a ghastly red, his teeth gritting.

erwin, due to the aid of armin and unconsciously reiner, who disturbs the titans, uses that moment to retrieve eren. i chase after him, activating my gear and progressing towards him. i attach the spikes onto ymir's arm, startling her in her titan form yet alerting her of my whereabouts. i decide to wrap further around her body to misinterpret my movements, making myself less predictable. as she turns her head towards her arm i sweep behind her back, then throwing myself over her head. the titan aimlessly was still trying to gather my location, i wrap a disheveled historia in my arms and retreat towards the tree line where erwin held eren upright.

"y/n!" erwins startled and adrenaline fuelled expression raises his eyebrows towards me. i tried regaining my breath beside him, whilst holding historia in my arms.

"take eren and historia and get out of here." erwin orders, much to my dismay. i nod, taking the unfamiliar boy in my spare arm.

"hold onto me tight." i command, to which he nods in fatigue. despite him being physically larger and taller, he does as i say meaning i could focus my body on historia. i attach my odm onto a tree, disbanding from the scene and deeper into the forest to get away. once finding a far away position, i settle against a tree to compose myself. the boy immediately removed his grip from me, but still remaining in close vicinity.

"are you the eren?" i direct my question towards the brunette boy after i had gathered my bearings.

"yes. are you from the special corps?" he returned a question due to my uniform. no other unit has an all black uniform like the special operations military group. we usually stand out from a crowd.

"you can say that." i shrugged, but taking my attention back to historia who seemed to be asleep against me.

"what is that supposed to mean." he continued, much to my annoyance.

"it means i was never supposed to be. i'm only in it because of my hereditary." i informed him, causing his face to contort into an expression i assumed was him colluding.

"l/n." i told him in confidence. his face seemed to relax, as though i had answered the questions consuming his mind.

"jaeger." he introduced himself with a courteous smile, which seemed genuine. i returned it.

"are you in the 104th?" i queried, noticing how he was in historias unit, meaning i had trained with him.

"yes, you don't remember?" he seemed to pout a little due to my words.

"remember?" i furrowed my eyebrows towards the boy.

"i trained with you. although, you never really paid attention to anyone other than historia." a small laugh left his lips, which made me release one in unison. our conversation however was cut short, due to a red flare sounding from the edge of the forest and being seen moments later above the tree line.

"come on, we should get back to them." i informed, moving my arm to expose the side of my body. he retook his conscious grip on my clothing, wrapping an arm around my neck for support. with him grasping tightly onto my body, i became airborne once again as we navigated through the forest. after a short while, i noticed an array of bodies in the field, some on the floor, lifeless. others standing yet still looking the same way as the corpses.

i landed safely on the ground, instantly the boy detached himself from me in gratitude. mikasa rushes towards his side due to his arrival.

reiner, bertolt and ymir still stood in unison on a rock just before the group. reiner held a titan in his arm, despite being the only one in that form left. he raised its body in the air, consequently throwing it towards the group.

"watch out!" ezekiel screamed to a few unaware soldiers, who executed an escape instead of being hit. however, an older man stood in the path of the titan, remained unaware as he occupies himself with his belt. before anyone was could form a coherent word, the titan grabs his clueless body and devours it.

"hannes!" eren and mikasa cry at the same time, watching as the person they seemed to know meet their gruesome end. tears began to form in erens eyes beside me. however, the tears fall short as anger consumes his every emotion, noticeable in his body language.

his hand regenerates what was once lost, his fingers growing back in a mere second. he raises it into the air towards the titan, another light blinding me like a linear sequence.

with erens newfound rage, some direct power causes all titans within the area to direct towards the titan that devoured hannes. i watch in awe as they consume the titan, showing it no mercy despite being of the same nature.

reiner and the two others watch in horror at erens ability, the three speechless.

"i don't know what just happened, but nows our chance." connie shouts towards his comrades, eagerly taking position on his horse. the others around him follow his lead.

sasha, atop a horse, stops beside me momentarily. she gestured towards the girl in my arms. due to my blinded, stunned state i thought it best to entrust sasha with the life of my historia. i carefully handed her the girl, and reached towards my temples to ease the growing pain in my head.

damn you, eren.

before i could start running, my feet left the ground causing my body to retaliate. upon forcing my eyes open, my vision directly met erens who glanced down at me as he ran, my limp body in his arms.

louder footsteps echoed as my eyes began to shut again, then drawing closer as i recognised the distinct sound of the armoured titan.

"get away from me! you bastards, i'll kill you all!" eren screamed with every inch of fury inside of him, yet sounded muffled from my state below him. his body began to run again, my head colliding with his chest with each movement. before eren got too far, electricity pulsated from erens body to mine, in a flash the herd of titans changed course.

they seemed to be after ... reiner?

"eren, get on!" before i could process any of the recent events, my eyes established slumber as i grew unconscious in his arms.