seven

by nightfall, we had arrived in the fields of reiss territory, a singular barren cabin being the only structure visible.

"where is everyone?" i questioned as zackly came to an abrupt halt, his horse skimming the grass.

"follow me." zackly began sprinting towards the cabin, which upon closer inspection revealed itself to be a chapel. swinging the double doors open, the place smelt of dust and decay.

"we're too late." zackly ran his head through his hands as he noticed the lack of people.

"where's historia?" i asked through gritted teeth. before he could reply, an ominous rumble caused our heads to turn back towards the open fields behind us.

a slash in the landscape began to form, the fields above it collapsing into the abyss.

"shit!" zackly cursed, grabbing my arm to exit the chapel. the dash in the ground grew bigger as the ground collapsed into the crater.

"get out of here, y/n." the ground began to shake beneath our feet as it grew closer, threatening to swallow the building whole.

"not until i find historia." i shook my head and ran out of the chapel. i gazed into the crevice beneath me, shards of ice blue disrupting the mud. before i could realise, the dirt under my feet started to crumple, my body titling as it slid down the axis.

"y/n!" zackly shouted above the noise of trembling. i tried my best to grab onto the dirt still remaining in tact above me, but soon that began to fall into the void. i tightly shut my eyes as i met the consequences of my selfishness.

"grab on." zackly ordered as a hand presented itself close to my head. my left hand let go of the blade of grass it latched onto and placed into zacklys, who's inhuman strength allowed my body to scrape against the dirt and towards safety. once my feet met ground again, i laced zacklys hand in mine and began sprinting towards the fields.

"look!" zackly stopped me in my tracks once we had reached far enough, appointing me to twist my head around. an indescribly large mass began leaving the crevice, seemingly a titan of some sorts. it's arms coerced it to move, it's overly large figure pressed flat against the floor.

"who... or what is that." my voice trembled. the titan began heading south towards orvud.

"i'm not sure." zackly stared unknowingly at the titan, who's fiery body caused smoke to raise into the sky, blocking any form of view ahead of it. his eyes then scanned the area, landing on something east of the chapel.

"look. there's torches over there. i'm sure that's erwin." zackly pointed towards a nearby group of silhouettes, however ran off into the distance before i could respond.

"zackly!" i called after him, turning the way he headed but he rapidly returned on the horse.

"get on!" he ordered, to which i obeyed gratefully. he wrapped around the chapel to avoid the crater, heading straight towards the group of lights that remained stationary, likely staring at the slash in the ground.

"erwin!" zackly called once in close proximity, causing the commander to take his eyes off the scene unfolding.

"zackly, where is squad levi." his words were rapid yet coherent, worry laced in his voice.

"we just got here, no sign of them."

"the titans heading to the wall. if we reach ovrud before it we can divert it."

"we'd need more than this squad to do that, erwin. a titan maybe be brain dead but they aren't stupid."

"we must kill it then."