Welcome Home

You don't become what you want, you become what you believe. -Oprah Winfrey

"Your Majesties, Crown Princess Cleopatra has finally come home. She brought a guest as well" Dagen, King Sebastian's personal assistant, spoke stepping into the King's living room. 

"Thank you, Dagen. Is it a man by the name of Luke Alves?" Queen Ida asked. 

"Yes, Your Majesty" Dagen nodded. 

"Good. Make sure they get set up together in Cleopatra's apartment. Mr. Alves is going to be marrying our future queen one day, so treat him with respect" King Sebastian nodded. 

"I'll inform the staff," Dagen bowed, "Has Princess Cleo been informed?"

"That Parliament is calling for me to step down in the New Year? They want to start 2023 with younger blood on the throne. No, she has not. And please make sure it stays that way before I have the chance to talk to my Granddaughter" Sebastian sighed. 

"You can leave, Dagen," Ida spoke, getting a nod from him before he retreated, "I still don't understand why they are calling for this." 

"They saw my physical" Sebastian sighed. 

"What does some hearing loss have to do with your ability to perform the duties of King?" Ida argued. 

"It's not just the hearing loss, Ida." Sebastian sighed, "The doctor said there is a chance I could be almost blind by Easter, and my memory has been called into question. I can't say I disagree with them, Honey." 

"We're not old enough to have these issues" Ida sighed. 

"My Love, I am 73. I am old enough for these issues to be arising" Sebastian chuckled. 

"What issues?" Cleo's voice asked from the door that lead to their garden. 

"Cleo, I'm glad you're home," Sebastian smiled at his only granddaughter, "We need to talk to you. Is Luke with you?"

"No, he's unpacking. Do I need to get him for this conversation?" Cleo asked pointing her thumb back towards the direction she had walked from. 

"Yes, it includes the both of you" Ida nodded, before Sebastian could. 

"Yes, Ma'am" Cleo bowed before slipping back out the door. 

Sebastian had forgotten that Cleo's apartment within the castle was next to his and Ida's; their private gardens were even connected. After a few minutes Cleo returned with Luke, who looked extremely nervous, and probably felt underdressed. Sebastian and Ida smiled as they saw Luke in person for the first time, he was exactly who they saw Cleo marrying. Even though he was nervous it was also evident that Luke was protective of Cleo as he scanned the room. 

"Your Majesties, it's an honor to meet you" Luke bowed respectfully

"No need to bow, Luke. Sebastian and Ida is perfectly fine when we're all in private," Sebastian smiled, "I'm going to get straight to the point, Cleo, Parliament has asked me to step down and hand the throne over to you on New Years."