3: What could it be?

Magnus' POV

We went back to the laboratory to do some research on these scales we found, I brought them in, while Inpu was reading every book that had something to do with monsters or animals having scales, I analyzed the scales, compared them to others, and found out some things about this one,
I found out that they are:
• As durable as snake scales, which is not that durable
• You can make paint out of them
• They are immune to any acid, venom or poison
• They have small holes to Mayne let some sort of gas come out of them.
• They are not heavy at all, in fact they allow you to run really fast even if you had your entire body covered in these.
• They seem to become more flexible when exposed to water or vapor
• They glow in the dark and reflect the sunlight to become almost invisible.
I wanted to see if I could find any other similarities with other monsters or animals but it ended with me putting random scales together to have some comfort

But I also compared it to multiple scales, like I mentioned before, I compared it many many scales, every single one we had, and the closest one I found is this one

This one scale you see right here belongs to a common dragon, it has similar patterns, you can make paint out of it, but it doesn't do much else, yeah it's immune to fire and molten lava, so I was thinking that they could share the same ancestors

1 hour later

I was looking around to see if there was any more scales around, but I couldn't find anything else, I saw Inpu approaching me, I was hoping he found something.

"Hey Inpy."

"Hi Maggie, any luck?" He asked.

"No, sadly." I answered, and by that question I already understand that we were going in circles.

"Did you find anything?" I asked, already knowing the answer was no.

"Unfortunately no, but hey, look at the bright side." He said cheerfully, I looked up, so that I could look in his dark purple eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked in curiosity.

He smiled and said "It's a new species and you know what that means." He said, I was really happy because I knew what would happen next, but it definitely meant that there was a lot of work to do, we needed a cell ready, and it's hard to have a cell ready that can keep in a monster species that has never been seen before.

"Yeah I know, but there's a lot of work to do then." I said, getting up, to put the scales back to their place.

"Let's go tell Cal, so he can prepare the cage, in the meantime we'll go inform the others so that we can go get that monster as fast as possible." He said, I was ready to leave, but before that

"How do we know if it is a monster and not an animal?" I asked.

"Well, animals don't really need tables, private rooms, or windows, did you already forget?" He replied, I kind of felt a bit of embarrassment.

wow, I've been doing this job for years and I can't tell the difference between a monster's den and an animal's den, I see why Cal tells me to study a lot.

"True, I guess I need some refreshment" I said, giggling.

"Now let's go inform Cal about this, actally, you go inform the other two, and I'll go talk to Cal." I said.

"Sounds good to me." He replied.

Brinley's POV

Arrived to a certain area of the forest I asked my brother, Bryan, something.

"B- brother..?" I asked.

"Yes, Brinley?" He replied, he seemed very calm.

"Is this the first time this happens?" I asked, hoping for the best.

"What? Monsters having to transfer because of humans?" It made me uncomfortable the fact that his tone was not as calm as it was before, it seemed rather...sad...

"Y- yeah" I said.

"Unfortunately no, even in this family, we transferred at least 3 times already to escape humans." He said, it made me sad.

"But why are we afraid of humans so much, aren't we monsters? Should we be stronger than humans?" I asked, he sighed and sat on the ground, looking in the distance.

"We are, but humans are more advanced and are used to fight monsters, remember, Brinley, our biggest weapon is not our venom, our claws or our speed, it's our head, this is what makes us superior to animals, not because we are better than them, I'm not saying that, I'm saying we use our brain to make complex decisions and actions, we live in a society, and speaking of society, we have to go meet our leader tonight." He said.

wow, didn't think I would get a life lesson out of this conversation, oh well-
This will be interesting to see! Also have a meeting, really? Uhg! I don't want to go there! It's boring and everyone looks at us because our scales glow in the dark.
Smoke's scales glow of a beautiful toxic green and white, I whish mine did too...

"True, I wonder what they want." I added, usually they call a meeting when they have announcements or one of the moons is up, but today it's not even going to be a full moon!

"Wait, brother, when do we have to go to the meeting? At moonhigh or ambersky?" I asked, sadly the leaders don't have a very consistent timing, so sometimes they call us at moonhigh or ambersky.

"They said they'll be there at rubylight, so we'll go there at moonrise and the meeting will start at moonhigh, it will hopefully end at sunrise." He said, thankfully brother is very precise with indications.

"Ok, thanks brother." I said, he walked next to me and ruffled my hair, then we both walked home with lots of food and water for everyone.