Chapter 2: High Lord of the Spring Court

I awoke with heavy lids as I slowly took in my surroundings. I was still on the forest floor, the birds were chirping again, the leaves rustling. But, something was different. I was relieved to know that those awful men were no longer in sight, but horrified to see my flimsy dress ripped, my breasts barely covered. There was a man--no, a high faery. With golden blonde hair, beautiful sun-kissed skin, and a stature that seemed to be sculpted by the gods themselves. He must have felt my gaze resting on him because he turned his head to me. I didn't know his intentions, and suddenly realized that he could be even worse than those mortal men. Would he eat me? Tie me up and roast me over a spitfire? Or maybe he would just torture me for sport--

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay. Do you know where you are?" The male asked, a concerned but calm look on his face. All I did was shake my head 'no'.

"You are in the Spring Court. You must have gotten lost from running from those pigs." I suddenly remembered that the men were right on my tail as I passed out, and looked down at my ripped open dress. He understood why I was so worried as he explained.

"Don't worry, I took care of it. They can't hurt you anymore. My name is Tamlin. What is yours?" He asked as he approached me carefully, grabbing my chin gently and turning my head to see my wound.

"I'm..I'm Alanna." I said quietly. He started cleaning off the blood on my face with a damp cloth, meaning that he had water. I gulped, realizing how dry my tongue was. He must have noticed and made the connection that I was parched, because he grabbed a canteen of water and opened it for me.

"That's a beautiful name. Here, drink." I lifted my arm but yelped in pain, discovering a very large bruise in the shape of a handprint covering my forearm...from where those men had grabbed me and..." He looked at my arm with a cringe and lifted the canteen to my lips himself, holding the back of my head to steady me. The moment the water hit my tongue, I was entranced. This water was different from what I was accustomed to. It was sweet, and smooth, unlike the sulfuric water we had to boil in the village. I drank greedily, eventually pulling back. How had I not drunk it all? The canteen was not that big, and it seemed to refill itself.

"Magic." He simply said, going back to cleaning my wound.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked, genuinely confused as to why a high faery, the ones the people back in my village said had despised humans, was taking care of me. He looked at me then, with an expression even deeper than empathy.

"Because, you didn't deserve this. You're...different from other mortals. I don't know how to explain it." I didn't say anything else as he bandaged my wound. When he was finished, he whistled. A beautiful black stallion came cantering over to us, his hair shimmering and shining. Tamlin took off his cape, placing it over me to cover my almost-exposed breasts before picking me up. He gracefully placed me atop the steed, the saddle's soft leather more comfortable than I thought it would be, as he climbed up behind me. I was ever so aware of his hard body pressed up against mine, and the way his long arms wrapped around my waist, holding me close.

"Where are we going?" I asked sleepily.

"To my home."

And once more, I let darkness take me.