Chapter 17: Elrin's Demolition

When the rogue soldier was done, he slid me off of his bed and onto the hard floor. He must have gone to sleep, because he didn't say a word and his breathing became deep and fluid.

I couldn't sleep that night. I only had memories of my mates, flooding my brain like a river as I lay there sobbing quietly. I had to do something...anything. Bargain with him, or something to see them again. At this rate, if this is how my life would be, I would end it myself.

❥❥❥

Morning came sooner than later, and the rogue soldier threw bread down at me, while he feasted on breakfast meats, eggs, and booze. I still didn't know his name, that was until I heard someone come in his tent.

"Elrin," A low voice began. "I have a note from the Spring Court." Hope filled my chest. Tamlin and Rhysand must have figured out something to threaten him with, somehow. I tried to make myself invisible, aware of my nakedness as the low voiced soldier handed the note to the rogue soldier who was apparently named Elrin. He caught me, smirking down at my nudity. I shut my eyes tightly, hugging me knees to my chest.
I heard a growl above me and she sound of paper being crumbled as Elrin got off the bed. He strode over to me, snatching me by my hair and leading me out of the tent. Males watched me walk, not trying to hide their peering glances down. I was led into a tent, a woman sitting at a vanity. She had long, brown hair, and fair, beautiful skin.

"Rhianna," Elrin started, "I need you to pretty her up. Put her in a gown, make her look less sickly. We have a show to put on." He chuckled, throwing me down on the ground again as her gaze met mine.

I swore I saw a look of pity in her eyes as she surveyed me, my body brutalized and feature sunken from lack of nutrients. She walked to me, reaching a hand down to help me. I took it, hesitantly, and walked with her to the wardrobe.

"Alanna, is it?" She asked, trying to strike conversation as if the situation wasn't awkward at all. I nodded briefly.

"Well, Alanna, first you need a bath." She led me out to another tent that connected to hers, where a metal tub stood. It was already filled with water as I got into it.

She sat next to me, taking a sponge and soap that smelled like almonds as she washed me.
"I can help you, you know. For a favor of sorts."

She whispered, as if she was afraid other soldiers would hear. I quirked my eyebrow, signaling for her to continue.

"I hate it here. I was sold to them by my father, to act as a pretty face to gather allies for the mess that Elrin started." She started on my hair. "I had a lover back in the Autumn court that I would secretly meet. He was a nobody, which was why my father sold me. Said it would be better to gain nobility this way versus staying in his kingdom. I want out...it's awful here. For reasons you know of, by the looks of it." She was referring to being taken advantage of... "I will help you return to your mates if you help get me out with you."

"How?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"I'll keep Elrin busy enough so that you can write to your mates. I'm in charge of gathering the postage, so I can get it sent easily." She explained.

"How did you know of my mates?" I asked.
"Elrin has been bragging to all the other males about taking you away from two high lords. He's so obnoxious about it, it's hard not to hear." She whispered that last sentence more than the other, understandably.

"Okay. It's a deal." I said. Tamlin and Rhys warned me about making deals with fae, but what other choice did I have?

Rhianna held out her hand for me to take, and without a second thought, I did. The bond traveled between us, marking me behind my ear. Smart, I thought. That way Elrin wouldn't see it...
For the remainder of the time I spent with her, she dressed and dolled me up. I still didn't know why I was, but I would find out soon.