Chapter 13: Powers

The next morning, Tamlin was already out of bed dressing when Rhys and I slept. He gently nudged me awake, rubbing the sleep out of his own eyes.
"Good morning." I said to my mates, a soft smile on my lips. As I sat up, I felt a soreness in my lower region. I clutched my pelvis.
"What's wrong?" Tamlin asked me, concern written over his features. Cauldron bless him, he always worried.
"Just a little sore..." I giggled. Rhys pressed a kiss to my cheek.
"Of course you are, Alanna darling."
❥❥❥
Lucien had come back to the manor in the spring court that afternoon. Tamlin told him everything, and that he would be sent as a spy after the tracking spell was completed by the high priestesses.
"So she's both of your mates?" The fox was so desperately trying not to burst into a fit of laughter. A clench of Tamlin's jaw and Rhys told him that he best hold that laughter in.
"And...now you're both afraid she's going to be taken from you?" A grim look on his face shown through his harsh exterior. "I'll do whatever I can." Lucien bowed to Tamlin, smirking at Rhys.
My mates sat me down, each of them taking one of my hands in their own.
"Alanna, this is very important. You need to learn how to shield, but since you're human you don't possess that sort of magic. The high priestesses will have to do a ritual to put just enough magic inside of you in order for you to do basic things." Rhys explained, sensing my fear.
"How do they put magic inside of me?" I pondered, it all being so much to take on. "Will it hurt?"
Tamlin lunged, holding my shoulders firmly.
"No." He growled. "No one is going to hurt you. I won't let it hurt. The aura of his intense protection filled the entire room, radiating. I smelled that metal tinge of his magic as the candles blew out in one blade of wind. I nodded, kissing his cheek to calm him.
"I will inform the high priestess. It needs to be done as soon as possible." He walked out of the room, winnowing towards their dwelling swiftly.
I was then alone with Tamlin.
"Why can't I just be turned into a high fae?" I asked, ignorant to their ways.
"That can be dangerous, and it's unpredictable how you will be after it's done. I-we don't want to risk that. Risk you becoming someone else completely." He pulled me into his lap. I breathed in his scent of spring musk, roses, and ivy. I wanted that scent bottled up and sprayed over everything I own.
"I'm not afraid." I lied, hoping my face matched my words. Tamlin raised his eyebrows, a knowing look etched into his features.
"Whatever you say, my love. But, you should know that you're safe with us. And if anything were to ever happen to one of us, you stay with the other. And if—cauldron forbid—we both go—"
I stopped him immediately, covering his mouth with my palm.
"No. Don't say that. I won't let it come to that. I won't allow it to. Ever." He looked at me like I was a stranger, never hearing that tone from me before. He smiled softly, pushing my hair behind my ear in graceful movement.
"My beautiful, brave girl." I leaned into his embrace, feeling like no one and nothing could ever even dare to touch me.
Rhysand was back just as quick as he was gone. He glanced at me in Tamlin's lap, smirking as he walked to me and picked me up. I wrapped my legs around his middle.
"The priestesses can do the ritual tonight. I won't sugar coat that it will be the most unusual thing you've ever experienced. Tam and I cannot be present for it."
I just nodded at him, ignoring the worried feeling in my gut.
"They told me a little bit of what's to happen." He began. "You go in nothing but a ritual robe at midnight. You'll lay down on the altar and they begin chanting around you. You'll feel a lot of things happening around you. The magic will fill you. They will take a little bit of blood—" he saw my worried look. "just a little bit, and transform it."
"Why do they need my blood?"
"It's the strongest form of DNA they can get from you to alter it." He squeezed my waist in reassurance, kissing my cheek.
"What happens then?"
"We train you."