Chapter 3: The Manor

When I awoke from being under some sort of magic from Tamlin, I was neatly tucked into a very large bed. Back in my village, we slept on potato sacks on the hard wooden floors...but this—this was incredible. Chiffon white lace, hunter green velvet bedding, silky soft sheets, lush feather pillows. It was like a dream. I glanced around the rest of the room. Like the bed, it was just as elegant. Golden etching on the tall walls and ornate pieces of wooden furniture.

Was I still asleep? I was really beginning to question it now. I moved to sit up, but a sharp pain in my ribs made me yelp. I clutched them, firmly, as if it would help take away the pain. How many injuries did I have? My head, arm, and now this? Before I could contemplate more, the door opened.

Tamlin came striding in, a worried look on his face as he saw me clutching at my ribs.

"Are you hurt there too?" He asked, motioning towards them. I nodded and he came to sit on the bed beside me.

"Let me see, I will heal it just like the others." He said softly. I didn't even know he had healed them before he said that, and it was true as I looked at my no longer bruised arm and felt no jagged cuts on my head.

He moved towards me and asked permission in my eyes to lift my shirt up just under my breasts. Wait a minute—I was no longer wearing my ripped dress...had he changed me himself?

He must have sensed what I was thinking as he told me that Alis, the maid had done it. I sighed in relief, watching him lift my shirt. I noticed how warm and gentle his beautiful hands were, tingling across my skin like fireworks. He looked at the large purple bruise and frowned.

"This one is pretty bad...magic will help but not completely." I nodded in understanding as he used his faery magic on my bruise. He pulled my shirt back down.

"Breakfast is being served, you slept through the night. You need to eat so you can replenish your strength." He explained. Did that mean that I was expected to go back to my burned village today? I had to tell him that I had no where to—

"You can stay here, for as long as you'd like. This is your home now, Alanna." I looked at him in a homogenous mixture of shock and awe.

"Thank you...thank you." I couldn't express my gratitude enough. I still didn't understand why he was being so kind to me. Before I could ponder more, he gently lifted me up and started carrying me downstairs. I held onto him tightly, in some stupid fear of being dropped. As if he could read my mind, he held on to my tighter, reassuring me that he wouldn't let me go. As we approached two tall doors, the dining room was revealed.

It was a large room, a very large room. I had never seen a room so beautiful. The table was grand, with decor and delicious food all over it. Lovely green curtains blocked some of the bright spring sun out of the gigantic windows, which was shining perfectly on the table.

Tamlin placed me into a chair, sitting next to me. I saw that my plate was already made, the food surprisingly still warm. I watched the heat rise into the air as my stomach growled. It was much to my dismay that when I reached for my fork, my arm felt heavy, weak. I frowned and realized that it must have been a combination of the healing magic and my exhaustion. Tamlin observed me before standing, picking me up, and placing me in his lap. I felt his strong thighs though the clothing as they flexed. Was he going to feed me like some toddler? I received my answer when he put a spoon of porridge in front of my mouth. My cheeks burned as I opened my mouth, letting him feed me. I became too hungry to be embarrassed anymore, letting him feed me breakfast meats, fresh fruits, and some sort of delicious juice.

"I-I'm full now. Thank you." I mumbled. He nodded and stood up with me, but I stopped him.

"Let me try to stand, please." I asked sheepishly. I knew by the expression on his face that I was going to be too weak, but I wanted to see for myself. He placed me down on my feet carefully, and the moment my feet hit the floor, I almost fell down. Almost if it weren't for Tamlin's reflexes grabbing me instantly. My cheeks burned again.

"How long is this going to last?" I inquired.

"At least a week or two. Your body took a lot of trauma, the magic wants you to rest." He admitted, a sad look on his face.

"Tell me where you are from."

"I'm from a small village. It has no name and no importance." I admitted.

"And your family?"

"Only my father, and I don't know what happened to him. Our home was set on fire. By the same men who..." I gulped. Tamlin understood and reassuringly rubbed my back.

"Listen to me. You are safe here. I am going to protect you now, for the rest of your life. No one is ever going to hurt you again." He pulled me close to him.

"I don't understand, why are you doing this for me?" I asked, a pleasing look in my eyes as I started into his entrancing forest green ones.

"I don't understand entirely either...there's something...never mind. In good time I will tell you. But for now, you need to rest more." He placed me back upon my bed. As he went to leave, I grabbed his hand.

"Please don't leave me." His eyes widened before obliging. He laid next to me, pulling me into his chest. He smelled of the forest. Evergreens, berries, and a hint of a masculine undertone. He soon lulled me into a deep sleep. That's when the nightmares came...