Chapter 8: Choice

As soon as Rhysand carried me to dinner and I got a view of the dining room, there were others there. Ones who looked like Rhys a little, and two women. One had black short hair and a sharp gaze. The other had golden beautiful hair. I shrunk back a little at all four eyes on me.
"This is Alanna." He said, placing me on a chair next to him with a gentle care. "As I just told you all, she is my only mate, but I am not her only one. "
They all looked with a knowing stare at Rhys, their eyes flickering to me. Morrigan, Mor for short I soon learned, was the first to speak to me.
"We're all happy to have you as a part of the family, Alanna. I've never seen Rhys look so happy." She gleamed at me. I smiled at her the best I could without feeling awkward.
"This is a lot for her to take on. Just over a week ago she set foot for the very first time in Prythian..." He didn't explain why, and for that I was grateful.
The meal was the most delicious thing I had ever consumed. Roast beef in a flavorful gravy, sparkling white wine, asparagus with butter, wild rice, and some sort of savory pie that I marveled at. I hadn't realized how hungry I was.
Even though Rhysand was new to me, I felt as though I'd known him and Tamlin both for decades. It must have been part of the whole mate—
"Yes dear, you're correct. It is because we are your mates." I stared at him with wide eyes and everyone at the table chuckled quietly.
"How do you keep doing that?" I asked.
"It's a mating bond thing. Tamlin can do it too if he wished, but something tells me that he would have rather kept that secret." I looked down at my lap, my mouth gaping. I had thought all those dirty thoughts and unknowingly was shooting them straight to Tamlin's head, and Rhys's for that matter. He smirked at me, but also had sympathy in his eyes in understanding of my mortification.
"We will go back to the Spring Court soon. No doubt Tamlin is furious with me. It's not like he could have stopped it, anyways. The Cauldron certainly has a sense of humor."
"He won't hurt you. I won't let him. If this is how it's going to be, how it was destined to be at the start, he's just going to have to learn to control his temper." I said with a promise. Everyone looked shocked.
"Good luck with controlling the beast." Said Cassian. Rhys shot him a hard stare.
"We will figure everything out, don't you worry. And like Tamlin could hurt me, anyways. I'm the most powerful High Lord there is." Once again, shocker to me. I had not only two High Lords mated to me, but one was the most powerful of them all. I could hardly believe my handful.
Once everyone finished eating, Rhys carried me back upstairs. Since no one looked at that weird, I'd assumed he literally told them everything. He set me down on my bed. I looked up at him.
"Will you..." I struggled to finish my sentence.
"Lay with you? Of course." He did so, keeping a respectful distance of a few inches. I looked over at him, finding those pretty violet eyes on mine. There it was again, that magnetism. Some magical force that pulled me closer and closer to him. I knew what I needed, it was obvious. I needed him, no, both of them inside me. Filling me up would be the only thing to curb that intense pulling. But we had to wait...I could hardly even listen to myself. A little more than a week ago I was some fragile human on the other side of the wall, cooking, cleaning, trying to take care of my father in any way I could. And now, my extreme change of fate made my head spin.
"It must tire you to think so much." He smirked. I laughed quietly, and inched closer to him. His smirk fell and what could only be described as pure want—not only a sexual want, but more so a want of closeness filled his eyes. I put my head on his shoulder and sighed. He grabbed my hand gently, bringing it to his heart. I felt the steady drum of the organ, beating so much like mine. I almost surrendered to sleep as a knock came at the door.
"Rhysand?" It was Cassian. "I have a letter from Tamlin. You're gonna want to see this." There was amusement behind his words. Rhys looked at me knowingly and opened the door.
"He's pretty pissed." Cass mused.
"I'm sure he is." He snatched the letter from his hand, and proceeded to read it out loud.
"Rhysand, you better bring her back immediately. I am going to finish you off next time I see you for what you've done. I wanted her. I found her. I should be the one to have her, not you. If I don't see you by tomorrow afternoon, you're going to regret it. Tamlin." Rhysand chuckled, but stopped when he saw my worried face.
"Oh gods, he's—" Rhysand stopped me.
"I'm going to say this once, Alanna. If you only want one of us, or neither, it is your choice. I will not force you to be with me, and I won't let Tamlin force you to be with him. You are free. Do you hear me? You will not be chosen like some party favor." I felt tears sting at my eyes. I'd just met him, and he spoke as if he'd known me forever. I couldn't help but to run up to him and bury myself in his arms. Cassian was still there, but scampered off no doubt due to a sharp look from Rhys. His hands stroked my back.
"Thank you...t-thank you." I sobbed.
"Darling, shouldn't be thanking me for showing you the decency of freedom." He was right. It was a basic right, but I couldn't help it. No one had ever made me feel like I'd mattered before...
Even though I'd quickly come to learn how much of a mess Tamlin was, it didn't stop me from wanting him. I made sure to make my decision clear to Rhysand.
"I want you both. I feel it deep in my heart, as if there's two voids instead of one...please I—" His lips merged into mine. Not forceful, but wanting. As if the pull had gotten so strong that even he, the most powerful high lord couldn't help it. I would be lying if I said I hadn't felt it all at once too. So I kissed him back, tasting the smooth wine on his buttery lips.
When we both pulled back, he smiled. One of those rare smiles, where it's completely genuine and nothing short of loving. He kissed my brow before picking me up and walking to the bed.
"You need to rest. Tomorrow, we journey back to the Spring Court." He slid in right in front of me, sliding the covers over both of us. The covers were pulled up and I breathed in his scent of citrus, sea salt, and jasmine. His arms gripped my waste in a reassuring way, pulling me even closer to him.
"Sleep well, Alanna darling." And so I did.