Tin Can In The Sky

45 minutes later, I was ready.

After deciding a time with Blake, packing a bag full of clothes and turning off my phone, it was finally time to face my fears.

Seeing those pictures of Jackson and putting the pieces together left little to the imagination, a further investigation on the tagged posts of the account with the garage photo revealing multiple pictures of Jackson leaning against the jeep, golden girl entwined in his arms.

This was why I always avoided looking at those party pictures. You saw enough these days post-pandemic, and the scene had never really been my cup of tea. Seeing it plastered all over my social media with the click of a button though...I thought he'd be more clever than that. It's probably because he knew I'd ignore it...he had me wrapped around his little finger, and i'll admit that. In any other case, I would have shrugged off the evidence and convinced myself it was an 'unfortunate series of very ironic coincidences' - but my way out was right around the corner, literally. It had to be a sign, or really good damn timing.

I'd called my mum and explained I was going to visit Immy in Newport, and when I got to the dilemma of leaving my car behind and explained on the spot that the train was cheaper than gallons of petrol. She was sceptical at first, but more so excited. She was always telling me to get out more and visit new places...just not with a boy i'd barely even met. I sent Immy a quick text, briefly explaining what was happening and begged her to cover for me if my parents called and to tell Jackson I was ill and taking a few days in bed if he got suspicious.

She was adamant I told her "EVERY MOTHERFUCKING THING' once the week was over and I assured her I would, if Blake's plan worked, and I lived to see it.

It was already dark once I'd tied any loose ends, my mind whirring over possible ways i'd get caught, or worse, questioned. I was an awful liar, and I hated confrontation - but I knew what I'd do if I stayed home, and I was taking this sign as my last chance at survival.

Before setting off, I made sure dad was back from golf and briefly explained my Newport facade, and after a series of sarcastic renounces of wearing my mask on the train and holding onto my drink at flat parties, he gave me a hug and pushed a few notes into my hand. I hugged him and ran up the stairs to see Viv, who had just woken up.

"Hey, sweetheart" I whispered, grabbing the teddy she was reaching for and squishing it between her and a mountain of pillows. "How was the nap?"

She yawned and giggled as I pulled a silly face, grabbing my hand and trying with all her little might to pull me into bed with her. "Boring" She squealed, as I gave in a laid down.

"Want to hear something exciting?" I asked, starting at her ceiling full of colourful dream catchers.

She nodded, giving me Winnie the Pooh with one eye to hold while I told. I smiled, holding his arms and pulling him into my chest "So, you know how I was supposed to fly on an airplane this year?"

"The tin can in the sky?" She questioned, her eyes full of sweetness.

I laughed, ruffling her already messy hair and turning onto my side. "Yes, that big, clever, magical can. Well, instead of going on that, i'm now going to be catching a train...you know, that big snake we went on last month to visit nana and grandad?"

She nodded excitedly, knowing exactly what I meant. She loved the train, people-watching out the window, hiding under chairs and hanging off the bars. It was a day out in itself for her, and for weeks after she pleaded to go on another. "I love the snake! Can I come, pleaseee"

"Not this time, but I promise soon. How about I bring you back a present? I may not be going half way around the world, but Wales is still a different country. I could bring you back a dragon...there's lots of them over there?" I compromised, watching her face light up to the sound of dragon.