Drunken Underground

I crossed my arms and leant on my hip, raising an eyebrow and stifling a laugh. "Whisky?"

Blake let out a roar of laughter at my stance and expression, doubling over as he sat on the edge of his bumper. "What, you don't like whisky?"

I let a single laugh out just as he was calming down, hands uncrossed and on my hips. "I like whisky, i'm just not so sure why we are in an empty car park with a single bottle of booze..."

Blake held his finger to his thumb and clicked, jumping up and shoving Velma into one of the bulky rucksacks. "Velma isn't just any bottle of whisky...she's travelled with me around the world! France, Spain, Iceland, Denmark...she's a global gal."

I stared at the bottle. Spoiler alert, it was the biggest anti-climax ever. Why carry a bottle around the world and not even open it? "...and now, London"

"Indeed!" Blake grinned, slamming his boot shut and pulling the rucksack over his broad shoulders and thick overcoat. "But not on this ground...come on, follow me"

He set off in the direction of the arena, a skip in his step. "But, where are we going...?" I shouted after him, grabbing my bag and running to catch up.

"No more questions, darling." He urged, the faint click of his cars lock echoing in my ears.

"But..."

He held a finger to his lips. "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

I stared at his small smile, wondering what was going on in his head. I guess I'd come this far, it would be too late to turn back now. My phone was turned off and in my bag...which was hanging from my shoulder, and id already arranged for cover with Immy - I was officially off the map.

It was strange not having my phone in my pocket. For as long as I can remember, the block of filtered life was glued to my hand, and I wanted it to be. It held my family, my friends, my hobbies, my interests, my secrets...

Letting go of it, even for a few seconds, felt mildly unusual...but somehow freeing. Locked away, out of reach, and out of mind. I could now totally focus on taking in the beauty around me...this place was too fabulous to turn your attention away for even a millisecond.

Me and Blake walked towards the 02, crossing various other carparks, slowly filling with vehicles as the bubble grew in size. It was even bigger than id imagined, climbing higher and higher into the sky every step I took. There was a supersized billboard staring at us once we rounded the corner to the walkway, illumines letters of red and gold reading UK TOUR NHS, with a montage of doctors and nurses taking off their face masks.

Everybody knew about the NHS tour - a scheme provided by the government for doctors, nurses and all NHS staff to be rewarded for their efforts during the worst of out last few years. Every arena in the country, including football stadiums, filled with staff for one exclusive party. They provided red carpets, paparazzi, specialised awards and an open bar. Celebrities from all over the world had volunteered to entertain those who saved millions, names such as Bruno Mars, JLS and Nicki Minaj taking part in the performances.

The 02 show was supposed to be the greatest yet to be, headlining acts flying in globally to honour the NHS and have one massive celebration. Ticket sales were NHS only, but that was understood by everyone. It was something they all deserved.

I let my eyes linger on the words, taking in the true velocity of the landmark as Blake walked ahead of me, under a shelter and down a long path that led away from the dome. I ran to catch him up, pulling my coat close around me. "So, not the 02 then?"

"I told you, I don't do landmarks." He spoke, striding confidently still away from the arena. "Expect the unexpected."

We carried on, chatting about anything and everything until we reached an opening in the ground. "Here we are." Blake huffed, smiling up at me as he stepped down into the hole.