Lot to Unpack

My alarm made me wake up in the morning, jerking awake like I had been electrocuted. The strange surrounding threw me off and I stared around, wondering if I had somehow teleported into the future where I had a fancy house.

Then the events of last night came rushing back into my mind, making my heart sink.

I flopped back on the bed. That's why.

God, I feel sad.

I don't do well with outright sadness. As I said to Mr. Razdan, always being sad is kind of my USP, but given my history of flawless compartmentalization, those pesky feelings can take a hike whenever I want it to. Sometimes though, they insist on setting up camp for a few days.

I think today was one of them.

Sighing, I looked at my phone to see an assortment of texts from various people.

Farida: Dhruv told us you're sick. Please take care. We got this.

Jai: Go sleep, woman. You never sleep. We will take care of everything.

Ma: Rita's wedding is in three days. Will you be there?

Krish: Don't think too much. If you want distractions, come for the shoot.

I looked at these messages and sighed again, turning away from my phone.

Should I wake up?

Wake up and do what exactly, my brain asked dully.

Good point.

My phone buzzed again. Sighing, I reached for it.

Dhruv Razdan: Come out and have breakfast.

No 'Hello', no 'How are you?'

He's demanding as soon as he wakes up or what?

I glared at the message and turned away again.

Dhruv Razdan: I know you're awake.

I tutted in exasperation and got off the bed.

He knows too much.

I opened the door and walked outside, my frown firmly in place.

Nishant was sitting in the dining table, having breakfast, the morning sun making the room feel offensively bright and sunny. Dhruv was doing something in the kitchen.

Nishant looked up when I walked in and smiled. "Hey. Good morning."

"Morning", my voice sounded like I had been crying all night.

My voice can't lie now, can it?

His smile was now understanding. "Come sit."

I complied, avoiding his eyes.

"I am sorry about everything that happened", he said gently. "Our parents are- well, they aren't easy to handle. It must have been a great shock for you. I am glad Dhruv brought you here."

I looked at his sincere gaze, quite surprised that he also seemed so naturally okay with this current situation.

Why would anyone voluntarily want a new roommate?

"Thank you", I said, embarrassed and gratified at the same time. "And- y-yeah it was a shock but it's got more to do with mine but-it was just a major shit-show."

"I can understand." he was so effortlessly kind.

Is this what they call the bedside manner?

Oh no, he needs to use bedside manner on me, that means he thinks I am weak and sad and pathetic.