Breaking Barriers (and plates)

I looked at Ma. Then I looked at Geeta Aunty. Then I looked at Ma again just to make sure everything was okay with my eyes and I wasn't just seeing crazy hallucinations.

"How are you, Dhriti dear?" Geeta aunty asked politely.

I was starting to feel nervous. This didn't feel like a mother-daughter reunion over some phenomenal butter biscuits. Because there was one person too many in this mother-daughter reunion.

And that just happened to be her therapist, no big deal (yes big deal)

"Hey, I am good", I said, trying to look nonchalant and non-nervous about this ambush while I took a seat next to Ma. "How are you?"

"I am good, dear. Congratulations on your engagement."

Her eyes were studying me carefully as I smiled at her, trying to look as normal as a girl who was thrilled to get married. "Oh, thanks."

That was not normal!

She offered me a small smile before her eyes swept to Ma. "How do you feel about Dhriti joining us, Pavithra?"

"Much better, after seeing this one", she said, squeezing me into a fond side hug.

Was Ma on drugs?

Ma saw my stupefied face and hastened to explain. "Oh, baby, nothing much. We ran into each other and just sat down for coffee, and I told her you're joining in."

"Oh." I laughed uncomfortably, awfully aware that Geeta Aunty was looking at the two of us like a calm principal of an elite international school. "Oh, as long as it's not some psychological session for me", I said, with a nervous chuckle.

Aunty's eyes flickered as she regarded me over her cup of coffee. "Why? Would that make you nervous?"

"Nervous?" I laughed, sounding even more nervous. "Hardly!"

"You do look a little nervous, dear", Ma said, gazing at me with concerned eyes. "Is everything all right at work?"

My mind snapped back to the broken boy in the hospital and all the difficult memories it brought to the surface. I firmly pulled my mind back to the present.

This wasn't the time to wander off, brain, get your wits about you!

"Work is fine", I snapped. "And I am nervous because, well I am angry at my mother and wanted to come see her, and well, I guess emotions are running wild."

"Relax, Dhriti. I just wanted to help the two of you. There has been a lot of changes in the last couple of weeks, so its important to make sure each of you do not say the wrong things so that neither of you would feel...triggered."

I was already feeling triggered so I was not sure if we were off to a good start. However, all things considered, I didn't have much of an option but to turn around and look at Ma. "I thought you just ran into her."

"Yes. during our session, when I told her about this." Ma said apologetically.

I looked back at Geeta Aunty. "Isn't this like, wrong from ethical POV? won't they call this an ambush?"

"Are you feeling ambushed?"

HELL YEAH!

But honestly, after the kind of day I was having, the last thing I wanted to do was summon my energy to yell. So I just sighed and reached for a butter biscuit and began munching, finally noticing how famished I was. "What dialogue are we supposed to have?" I asked finally.

"First of all, Dhriti, I love you very much", Ma began after taking a deep breath.

I just nodded as I stuffed another biscuit into my mouth. I would believe that if I saw that.