You Can Only Move Forward

Dhriti

Two breakups in two years...I sure know how to choose right, don't I?

Look...if you're expecting me to revert to the weepy, droopy Dhriti who was getting over Parth, then you're barking up the wrong tree, buddy.

I think it's got something to do with being in my late 20s now (26 is almost thirty, thirty is almost forty and forty is ancient), but I didn't even cry on the 18 hour flight back to Mumbai.

I even got the middle seat, and yet no tears escaped my eyes.

Krish, who was seated next to me was having a hard time understanding my sudden maturity. He, unlike me, was bearing this news like a One Direction fan on the day they announced that Zayn was leaving. He was angry, he was dismayed, he was disappointed and most importantly, he was displeased with my reactions.

He was needling me to talk about it during the flight, he was talking over my headphones during our layover at Denmark, he even accompanied me to the salon when our flight got delayed further, so he could make me come to terms with what had happened.

"Honestly the gall of him, and of course his entire family- they put out a press release while we were on the FLIGHT? What, did they have a template ready? Sleazebags all of them!" he said angrily, and all I could hear from under my claymask was his fingers aggressively tapping against his phone, no doubt tweeting something passive-aggressive.

"Calm down" I said, feeling the clay stick to my face, trying to not giggle as another assistant massaged the soles of my feet.

"Calm down your face- I can't believe you are not going to post a statement- do you want him to have the last word on EVERYTHING?"

"Somethings aren't worth the fight. He definitely isn't. I'm not going to cry over that megalomaniac. Now stop talking and do this clay mask too. It's so cool against the skin."

"I don't want to do a clay mask, Dhriti and for God's sake stop lying! I know you're upset-"

"I'm not upset-"

He snorted derisively. "Please. I know your stages of anger. Now you're so angry that you've crossed denial and are in ice volcano stage right now. But I know what the next stage is- the volcano will burst into a bucket of tears and bad decisions, and we're trying to get ahead of it."

"I don't make bad decisions!" I said hotly. "Name ONE TIME-'

"College first year. You were into Parth, he had a crush on someone else, so you called me and made the insane suggestion to get back together-"

"That was a low point in my life." I admitted.

"Yeah, mine too! I know we have a pact to spend our lives together after my third divorce but I cant do all that if you want to get back together."

"Ugh, don't flatter yourself, I don't want to get together with you." I said, now giggling as the masseuse tickled in between my big toe. "I am not going to date anyone. I got released from a soon to be eternal jail, man. It's time to party up!"

He was quiet for a whole minute, while I sighed and relaxed into my luxurious seat. Paying an exorbitant amount of money to get the 5 star pamper package in a luxe airport salon in Denmark was a really good decision.

I was feeling like a princess.

I was also feeling nauseated and disgusting due to everything that happened in the last twenty four hours, but I was feeling pampered of course.

"I'm sorry this happened to you", he said quietly.

"It's fine. It was a big swing and a miss. I told him what I dreamt of for us, and in return, he said no thank you", I laughed, numb and bitter to the bone. "If that isn't a big old f you, I don't know what else is."