No spoilers 4

It had been two weeks, and Joan became a runner. I've had a few close calls with him almost catching me. Luckily, he hasn't been able to get that close.

Today, the boy had dropped his knife. I thanked him in my mind. One weapon could be the difference between life and death out here.

The night grew closer, but little did I know tonight would be very eventful. Watching the sunset, I got ready for another night of running before I heard it.

The all too familiar shriek and dragging metal of a Scoper. I immediately turned around, and there it was, we locked eyes as it came barrelling toward me.

Running away was all too familiar to me, but it had kept me alive, so I guess I don't have room to complain.

There it is, my prized hiding spot. It was a small line of rock missing on the bottom of a wall, where vines draped over, making it almost invisible.

I was waiting for the scoper to make an appearance when a small metallic spider came rushing out of the vines. Although I probably shouldn't call it small, it was about the size of my hand.

It was perfectly in view when the Scoper came barrelling towards it. The smaller spider's tail raised, and it shot out a small dart-looking shard.

Its attempts were futile against the giant creature as its own tail came spinning around, knocking the smaller one into the wall.

The Scopers mouth opened, ready to devour the small spider. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing.

Skidding in front of the scoper, I shoved Joan's knife into the top of its mouth.

The scoper let out a blood-curdling screech. As I pulled out the small weapon, one of its legs flailed around, impaling mine, and I let out a scream. After it had been pulled out, I quickly turned around, picked up the smaller spider, and ran.

Eventually, the Scoper lost track of us, and I set the smaller creature down in front of me. "There you go, bud, all safe and sound now."

I turned to leave when I felt it crawl up my leg to my shoulder. I was initially freaked out, but I soon realised if it had any intention of hurting me, it would have already.

I grabbed its body and pulled it off my shoulder. I had to pry each leg off as they had sunk deep into the fabric of the clothes I was wearing.

"You've gotta go, sorry." I placed it back on the ground, crouching beside it when suddenly it raised its tail at me and shot.

The dart went swiftly past my face, and I heard something behind me fall to the ground. Turning around, I saw another one of the creator's crazed creations, dead, on the floor.

I had named them Beakles, a small creature around the size of a big dog. The best way I could describe it is a bear with a beak and really sharp teeth.

They were sometimes even more annoying than the Scopers because they made absolutely no noise, and their bites hurt like a punch in the gut.

And this small creature had just killed one with a single dart. I marvelled at the small bullet. It had something purple dripping out of it, I could only assume it was some sort of poison.

"Bloody hell, okay, then let's make a deal. I protect you from Scopers, and you protect me from Beakles... deal?" I held my arm out.

The spider jumped with joy and did a full turn before quickly scurrying up my arm and sitting itself on my shoulder.

"You're not cute, but you are funny." I let out a laugh. "I'm gonna name you - Eddie!" With that, I had my first real friend.

A spider, but a friend non the less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day...

Today was one of the days that Minho and Newt were running in my section. I always love when Newt runs because over the time of watching him, I hate to admit it, I've grown a small crush on him.

I watched as they ran their usual route down, left, right, left, left, right, right, left, right. But when they got to the second left, Newt suddenly stopped.

"Minho, I'll explore this way again. You take the normal route."

"Alright, but don't be too long shank."

" I won't."

I followed newt around a bit away from Minho before he paused and looked around.

'What is he doing.' I thought to myself.

He grabbed a vine on the wall I was on top of and started climbing. He isn't doing what I think he's doing. He can't.

I let Eddie down and whispered, "Whatever happens, I want you to stay here, okay?" They gave me a small nod before I made my way closer to the edge.

He got to a height he was happy with and turned outwards from the wall.

"IM SORRY!" He screamed.

"I'M SORRY THAT I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE, THERE IS NO WAY OUT OF THE MAZE,

I'M SORRY MINHO FOR THAT TIME I MESSED UP YOUR HAIR RIGHT AFTER YOU HAD BRUSHED IT,

I'M SORRY FRYPAN FOR STEALING FOOD FROM THE FRIDGE,

I'M SORRY ALBY FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO FULFIL MY DUTY AS SECOND IN COMMAND,

I'M SORRY GALLY FOR NEVER LISTENING TO YOU WHEN YOU WERE WORRIED ABOUT ME GETTING HURT,

I'M SORRY TO CHUCK BECAUSE I KNOW THAT THIS WILL HAVE A HUGE EFFECT ON YOU

I'M SORRY TO JOAN THAT I CAN'T BE THERE TO HELP HIM MAP THE MAZE,

IM SORRY EVERYONE. BUT I NEEDED TO SAY THIS BEFORE I SAID...

GOODBYE,"

Before I could say anything, he let go,

-----------------------------------------------------------

Newt's POV.

This is it, goodbye world.

I closed my eyes and let go of the vine.

I waited for the impact of the floor, but it never came. Instead, I felt two firm hands grasp mine, I looked up to see a boy. "Am I dead? Is this heaven?"'

"An angel," I said, as this was what I had concluded the figure was.

I was soon snapped back into reality when his eyes widened and my hands were let go of. I hit the ground winded yet nothing was broken, unlike if he hadn't caught me.

Before long, I heard something land beside me and felt someone shaking me.

Opening my eyes, I saw the boy, 'The Maze Ghost' my mind immediately went to. Is he real?

His eyes widened once again when they met mine, and he started running. I quickly got up and started the chase.

I started gaining on him. He wasn't slow, but I was definitely faster. One wrong foot placement meant that the boy fell over, giving me a chance to lunge.

One of my hands grasped around his lower leg, making him wince in pain at my touch. I quickly realised he was wounded.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you."

His eyes went from surprised to curious for a second before he shoved off my blood-drenched hand and took off further into the maze.

I tried to follow him but I turned the corner and...

I was alone.

✅️