Chapter 10: A Walk In The Sunshine

Lunch was a success. Questions were asked about Caroline's peculiarity but Caroline answered this time. As long as they didn't find out what she did or what else she is capable of she is fine. She has a loop; she has a home. Just don't screw up.

"Right children, please get ready for the daily walk. Caroline I'm sure you handle tidying up by yourself." "of course, dear." "Good, then I suggest you go and change into slightly warmer clothes as the afternoon is quite chilly in the loop." "Thank you for the warning, dear."

Olive was now confusedly whispering to Emma. "what's happening?" "I think they're being passive aggressive to each other and seeing who breaks first." "Oh, this will be good." "I know."

The two girls sniggered as the two 'mature' adults got up from the table followed by the children.

"Right, off you all go." They scurried out of the room in single file. Alma turned to Caroline. "So, we're really doing it this way?" Caroline was currently stacking plates. "It would seem so, Ma chéri." (My Darling) Alma bit the inside of her cheek.

"So, we're bringing out the second languages now, are we?" Caroline smirked. "Come on, show me what you've got." "Alright, Fy annwyl wyt ti ond drain yn fy ochr." (You are but a thorn in my side) Caroline thought for a few moments. "Well, Toute votre tenue est basée sûr vous-même." (Your entire outfit is based off of yourself) Alma mumbled under her breath. "Brathiad meddwl." (Mind bitch) Caroline didn't like Alma's tone.

"Vous êtes un dipshit dans une jupe." (You're a dipshit in a skirt) Alma gave Caroline a look. "Efallai y byddwch yn edrych yn boeth pan fyddwch yn chwysu ond byth yn fy ngalw'n bethau o'r fath." (You may look hot when you swear but never call me such things) Caroline could recognise certain words and was currently confused.

"Votre forme d'oiseau est si fort et ennuyeux, mais je le trouve toujours mignon." (Your bird form is so loud and annoying, but I still find it cute) Alma was confused now. "Um... Rwyt ti'n Bert!" (you're pretty) Caroline had run out of insults as well. As long as they shouted the other wouldn't know know they were actually flirting. Right?

"tes cheveux sentent bon!" (Your hair smells good) "Mae eich gwefusau'n edrych mor gusanu ar hyn o bryd!" (Your lips are looking so kissing at the moment) "J'adore la façon dont tes hanches bougent quand tu marches!" (I love the way your hips move when you walk) "Dw i'n caru dy wên!" (I love your smile)

They had subtly been moving closer and were no longer shouting. "J'aime ton sarcasm." (I love your sarcasm) "Rwy'n caru eich synnwyr ffasiwn." (I love your fashion sense) "J'aimerais t'embrasser." (I want to kiss you) "Dwi isio rhoi sws i ti." (I want to kiss you) they could feel each other's breaths.

"Miss Peregrine!" They both jumped back and Caroline looked down at the floor while Alma looked at the door. "Coming Millard!" Alma turned to see Caroline thinking. She sighed before speaking.

"Listen, this may seem harsh Caroline. I want to be friends, nothing more. That moment should not have happened." Caroline looked up with a sad smile before gently grasping Alma's hand. "Trust me, it's fine. It's for the best, and if that's what you want then I'm not going to overstep boundaries and make you uncomfortable." Alma smiled. "Thank you for understanding." Alma gently lifted their hands and gave Caroline's a gentle chaste kiss.

They smiled at each other before leaving the room.

"Miss Peregrine, come on!" Caroline smiled as Alma went over to the children. "Are you coming Miss Caroline?" Caroline turned to Fiona. "No dear, I'm not much of one for the outdoors." "Oh, please Miss Caroline!" "Please!" "oh, please just come!" "You don't even have to say anything!" "Yeah! You can even walk behind all of us!" "Please!" after various cries from the children and a sympathetic look from Alma, Caroline agreed.

"Fine, let me go get ready." "Ready?" "Yes, dear." "Why?" "Because, my body temperature is extremely low for a normal human. I have to keep myself warm when going outdoors." "Even in the sun!?" "Yes, even in the sun. Thats why I wear long dresses, gloves and boots most of the time." "That seems like a pain!" "It is, now do you want to leave on time? Or do you want to deal with grumpy bird lady?" "Leave on time!" Claire's immediate response humoured Caroline and annoyed Alma.

As she floated up to her room, she let her mind wander. Sure, it hurt that Alma wanted to only be friends but if that was what she wanted then she wasn't going to push it and risk losing her friend. 'friend', such a foreign term to Caroline. She did have one friend though, when Minerva's loop was still a school. She remembered liking that friend like she liked Alma, even though she couldn't remember her face or name. Well, it had to be done.

Once she finally made it to her door she went into her suitcase and pulled out a rather large coat. It clung to her body but not so much so that it was uncomfortable, the sleeves proofed out much like those on a cloak and the bottom of the coat look like a bell. It was especially a black and red gradient raincoat but without the waterproof element.

She dug further into her suitcase and pulled out her leather skin-tight gloves, they kept in heat better than her thin fabric ones. Caroline chucked on her sunglasses, pale eyes don't like the sun, or something like that.

Once she was done, she floated herself back down to the ground floor. The children look up at her to see her new outfit, they all seem surprised. "what's wrong?" "Nothing, it's just that you look like you're about to start sweating. Alot." "Trust me, once we get outside, I'll be fine." "If you say so... Children, out the door single file please."

The children left the house and patiently waited outside. "Caroline?" "Yes, dear?" "I um... I think we have something to discuss while we walk." "Okay...? I'm just gonna... Y'know." Caroline pointed toward the door. "Yes, of course." Caroline walked down the stairs and joined the children.

"Right, Caroline will you be at the front or the back?" "At the front, if you don't mind." Alma smiled. "Not at all, my dear." Caroline smiled before walking with Alma to the front of the group.

They first walked through the town; the towns people eyed Caroline's fashion but none of them said anything. As they came out of the town and to the edge of forest Caroline suddenly remembered something.

"Hey, Alma?" "Yes, fy annwyl." (My dear) "remind me to talk to Enoch about his niece when we get back." Alma smiled. "She was quite a sweet woman, wasn't she?" "Absolutely delightful to talk to." Alma laughed before taking Caroline's hand in her own. "Quite the flirt as well, though I suppose you started it." Caroline giggled. "Can you blame me?" "Not at all."

The rest of the walk was in almost complete silence except for the odd whisper among the children.

Once they returned home Caroline went to find Enoch while Alma sat on the sofa waiting for her to appear. As she sat there with her own thoughts, she started to contemplate what she had done to Caroline. She knew Caroline liked her, it was obvious, but Alma wasn't sure about her own feelings towards Caroline. If she realised that she liked Caroline the way Caroline deserved she would tell her but until then remaining friends was fine. She did feel bed even though Caroline said it was fine with her, that woman listened to Alma without a second thought and Alma blushed hard at what other things Caroline would be willing to do to her, due to that fact.

The woman deserved better than Alma. She deserved someone who actually knew what they were feeling, she deserved better than someone who can't even function around her. Someone better than Alma, needed someone better than Alma who didn't even know what the girl had gone through. Needed better than Alma who couldn't even make her mind up. One thought kept crossing her mind again and again.

Caroline was too worthy for Alma.