Chapter 13: A Night Of Bonding

It was late at night and Caroline had once again woken up in a cold sweat. This had happened both nights she had slept in her own bed now, God did she miss sleeping with Alma next to her. At least then her nightmares didn't haunt her. Well, time to go down to the kitchen for the next hour and a half until she felt tired enough to attempt to try and get back to sleep.

She moved the covers off of herself and lowered herself down to the floor before reaching for her slippers and placing them on her bare feet. She quietly made her way across the room and to her desk chair where her sheer teal dressing gown was hung.

Once it was on her shoulders Caroline used the little light coming in through her open curtains to navigate to where her candle was kept. She lit it with a match and made her way over to her bedroom door. Once she was on the outside of it she closed it and made her way down the stairs.

Once she was on the ground floor, she made her way to the kitchen slowly as to not make too much noise and wake the children, Alma would have her head for it.

Once she was in the kitchen, she placed her candle on the counter and made her way to the light switch and turned on the kitchen light. She covered her eyes for a few moments due to the sudden bright light.

She made her way over the cupboard where the glasses were kept and slowly levitated up to the shelf. She was too short to reach it and her peculiarity was always weak after a nightmare as the nightmares caused her mind not to work as well as it normally would.

Once she had made her way back down, she lightly walked over to the sink and poured herself a glass of water. Once her glass was full, she leant against the counter and started drinking the water.

What she failed to notice was that there was a child in the doorway watching her with caution. Caroline noticed Horace after he accidentally kicked the doorframe after trying to walk away.

"Horace?" He slowly turned around and Caroline could see the tear tricks down his cheeks. "Yes?" "Have you been crying?" He looked down. "Maybe..." Caroline let out a quiet chuckle and Horace looked at Caroline properly, finally seeing her matching wet cheeks.

"Join the club kid, it doesn't bring anyone joy." Horace let a small smile play at his lips. "I know." Caroline let out a quiet chuckle. "You want to talk about it?" Horace shook his head. "Do you want a glass of water." "Please." Caroline nodded before mimicking her earlier moments.

"Here." "Thank you." Caroline pulled out the stool across from her before leaning back against the counter. "So, these happen often?" "Not very, but when they do, they're horrible." "I feel you; I get them every night but it's usually the same thing. When it's not... I don't sleep for the next three nights." Horace thought for a few moments. "So, was this the one you normally have?" "no."

Horace tried to smile at her. "at least were not alone." "Yeah... At least." Caroline smiled before frowning slightly. "what's wrong Miss Caroline?" Caroline came out of her little daze with a few quick blinks. "Nothing dear, I just thought I heard something." "Like what?" "I don't know, are any of the other children up?" "No, I don't think so.

Caroline heard the noise again, but much louder this time.

"Are you absolutely sure no one is up?" "I don't know, why?" Caroline was silent for a few moments before jumping. "what's wrong Miss Caroline? You're scaring me." Caroline looked at Horace extremely fast which scared the poor boy even more. "Somethings wrong." "what's wrong?" "You, with me now." "Okay..." Horace jumped off of his stool and followed Caroline as she walked out of the kitchen, her glass still in her hands while Horace had abandoned his.

They made their way up the stairs and Caroline paused, all of the children's doors were open. They were awake, but if they were awake where were they? Caroline heard a thud form upstairs, Alma. She started running and lost Horace as he was trying to clamber his way around the first floor.

Once on the second floor she could hear the noises louder. She dashed for the staircase and threw herself up them. Once. he was on the third floor she could see the children gathered around Alma's bedroom door. Something was definitely wrong.

"what's going on!?" The children looked at Caroline and she could see the pure panic. "there's something wrong with miss peregrine!" Caroline pushed passed them and looked at the room. The things had been swept off of her bedside tables and were now on the floor along with small pieces of wood.

Caroline went over to Alma's bed and watched as she tossed and turned. She lent closer trying to decipher what the woman was saying, she was shocked when she realised what it was.

"Lillian, Chloe, David."

There was no way she could know the link between those names, unless... No! Caroline's eyes widened as she realised what she had done. She needed to help her, and fast. "Children, I will help her. You may go." Every child left except for Enoch. "Enoch, please. This process will not be pretty." Enoch looked at her with pleading eyes. "Please, keep her safe." Caroline gave a small nod and smile. "I promise." He left with a nod of his head.

Caroline turned to Alma and let out a shaky sigh before placing her palms on Alma's cheeks and leaning their foreheads together. Why did she have to be so stupid? She started relaxing herself before closing her eyes. "I am so sorry Alma." She gently pressed their lips together before gathering her remaining strength and channelling it into that single kiss.

Meanwhile, all Alma could see were flashing images of torment and pain, Caroline's torment and pain. These cruel people and things they would to her. They were swallowing her while and she could do nothing to stop it. Rather suddenly there was this thing, this object giving her closure and safety. This feeling was warm and protect, Alma could care less what it was she just needed more of it. She grabbed onto whatever was giving her this feeling when...

"mhm!" Alma opened her eyes to find Caroline leaning over her with a look of shock and their lips connected while Alma had her hands lost in Caroline's hair. Against her better judgement, Alma closed her eyes and pulled Caroline closer. Caroline was careful in her movements as she reciprocated.

Slowly Alma led back down and pulled Caroline on top of her. Caroline was scared of making the situation worse, so she decided to pull away which made Alma let out a whine. "You need sleep." "So do you." "What are you suggesting?" Alma held out her arms toward Caroline with a slight pout. "Cuddles?" Caroline let out a light chuckle. "Just wait until the effects of my peculiarity Wears off."

Alma just smiled and Caroline sighed before moving into her Alma's warm embrace. Alma turned them on their side and then she moved so her head was on Caroline's chest. "What are you doing?" "Getting payback for earlier." Caroline chuckled before cuddling closer to Alma.

"Goodnight, Oiseau précieux."
(Goodnight, precious bird)

"Goodnight, Eithaf peculiar."
(Goodnight, pretty peculiar)