Chapter 11: An Educational Discussion Of The Past

Alma could hear the familiar steps of Caroline approach the door to the living and she stiffened slightly.

"Sorry, I was putting my coat and sunglasses back." "of course, dear, it's no problem. Now, sit down and read this." Caroline looked at the letter that Alma was holding. "who's that from?" Caroline sat on the arm of the sofa next to Caroline. "Minerva." "What does she want?" Alma gave Caroline a look. "Do as I said and read; you'll find out then." "Alright... Salope ennuyeuse." (Annoying bitch)

"I don't know what you said but it was either aggressive flirting or an insult. Going by what you said earlier, it was an insult." Caroline hummed as she read through the letter she had stolen from Alma's grasp.

Dear,
Alma Peregrine & Caroline Dashwood

I am writing this from Ms Pigeon's loop on the border of France. I have payed all of my previous charges a visit but I will be revisiting Miss Starling's loop. I hope to hear a reply from you saying that Caroline is safe and sound and that I may visit in two days, as you are overseas, I am hoping to stay for a week. Only if it is alright by both of you.

Sincerely,
Minera Owl

"Why was it addressed to both of us." Alma snatched back the letter. "Probably because it was intended for me but Minera realised how nosey you are." "I am not nosey!" Alma gave Caroline and Caroline looked down in response. "Okay, maybe a little nosey." Alma chuckled and Caroline smiled.

"So, Alma, are we going to let her visit?" "Why wouldn't we? She can see how much of a pain in the ass you are." "I am not a pain in the ass!" "Really?" "Only sometimes... That's when I don't get much sleep." "I know you got the same amount of sleep as me, you have no excuse." "Fine, what do you want me to do?"

"that's the spirit. Now, there is a spare room next to yours, well, next to the room next to yours." "Right." "The bed is made but the furniture is all over the place. So-" "so you want me to move it with my mind." "If you wouldn't mind." Caroline lent down and placed a chaste kiss on Alma's cheek. "Not at all, my dear."

Caroline left while Alma had a smile and light blush on her face. "My word, she is quit the treasure, isn't she?" Alma chuckled before taking out her pipe and sitting back.

Caroline leant on the door and tried to slow her breath. "Why would you do that? She has boundaries. Stupid, stupid girl." Caroline wiped away her tears before picking herself up. Olive walked past holding a feather duster.

"Miss Caroline, are you alright?" "I'm fine dear, it was me just being stupid... Again." "Again?" "I may have hurt Alma, not physically but emotionally." Olives brief moment of anger disappeared once she realised Caroline obviously regretted what she had done. "What did you do?" Caroline looked around. "Can you keep a secret?" "Absolutely."

That was how Caroline ended up sat on her bed with Olive and Emma sat in front of her.

"So, You like Miss Peregrine?" "Yes, was it that obvious? " "you were crying over kissing her cheek." Caroline looked down. "That was for a different thing." "Different thing?" Caroline nodded slowly. "Well, what do you want to do about Miss Peregrine?" "Nothing..." "nothing?" "Yeah, nothing." "So, why do you want our help?"

"What would you think of me if I told you I did a bad thing when I was younger." "Bad thing?" "What bad thing?" "It was something really bad, it's why I'm not in a different loop right now." "Why?" "What did you do?" "Shit! I shouldn't have said anything!" The girls gave her a look of shock. "don't tell Alma I said that to you, she'll have my head for it." The girls shared a smirk. "We won't tell." Caroline was suspicious but let it go for the sake of her sanity.

"Right, so how bad was the thing you did, why are we bringing Miss Peregrine into it?" "I want to tell her but I know ill be kicked out." "It can't have been that bad." "Yeah, tell us and we can help you." Caroline was silent. "Come on!" "Tell us!" "I've killed people!" The room went into stunned silence while Caroline covered her mouth. There was no going back now.

"When I was twelve, I was bullied a lot for the weird things I would do and the things that only happened while I was around." Emma swallowed while Olive moved a tiny bit closer. "It eventually got to the point where..." Caroline hesitated. "I was going home with bruises, burns and scratches all over me." "that's horrible!" "Yeah, you can imagine how I felt every day of my life."

Caroline took a rather large and deep breath.

"So, my mind started to go to dark places. Really dark places. I became depressed and isolated." The girls moved a little closer. "In short, I wanted to kill them. I wanted them to suffer the most painful death imaginable. I never thought I would actually do it but one night..."

Caroline looked away before continuing. "One night I had a dream. In the dream those horrible people were kidnapped and torn apart limb from limb before being fed to the wolves. I was concerned by the dream but it got even more concerning when my bullies didn't show for school the next day or the next or the next. Their blood was found in the basement of an abandoned building, nothing else could be found. "

"You don't think... " "given the fact that I can do a lot of things with my mind, it's quite possible I was able to do it in my sleep. If I have a really strong thought about something then my peculiarity kicks in." "so... You killed people who were hurting you. Like, killing them was going a little too far but I honestly don't blame you." "Plus, it was purely by accident."

"Miss Caroline, it's alright we don't view you any different, well maybe just a little." "Well yeah, I don't expect you to view me the same after finding out im a murderer." "Quick question." "Yes dear?" "How long ago did you do it?" "Coming up to one hundred years now." They seemed somewhat content with Caroline's answer.

"So how are we going to tell Miss Peregrine that she invited a murderer into her house?"