Childhood Part Two, Hearthstone

Father's eyes smoldered with anger.

He had had no choice but to take me with him when he went out today and it hadn't gone well.

Elves stared and whispered and mocked as we passed.

Father's reputation was all but almost ruined because of me.

Reputation meant everything to elves.

We were back home now.

I wondered in shame how much he would charge me for what happened today.

Probably half of all the gold I had earned.

I had saved up almost enough to start hoping I really would be able to pay off my debt for my brothers death.

Not anymore.

I'm sorry Andiron...

"Do you know what you did today?" I read the scathing words on my father's lips, so sharp it seemed they could cut stone. "You almost cost me everything!"

He continued to berate me talking about all of the things I've done wrong.

Because I was deaf.

Because I should never have been born.

Because I was a mistake.

Though I knew he was right a small, foolish, part of me roared in anger.

Who was he treating me like this?

I was almost fourteen!

My vision swam with anger.

My small moment of blind sighted rebellion was where I went wrong.

Maybe if you had not taken me it wouldn't have happened! Not my fault! I told him in abrupt, short signs.

I inhaled sharply realizing I had messed up.

The blaze of fury in his gaze turned to an inferno.

"You know I had no choice you ungrateful brat! And you know that it is your fault!" My father was always incredibly intimidating, looking down on everyone, making you feel smaller than a speck of dust, but I felt no greater terror than when he got mad. And I mean furious like this.

He raised his hand and slapped me across the face.

My cheek stung

I felt a vibration in my throat. 

The feeling of myself whimpering slightly.

I was shocked.

Beatings were usually just for the hulder that father enslaved as servants.

 I hated watching that happen especially my he would hit my only friend Inge.

But now I was the one.

 My vision tinted green with tears as I stared at him in fear, lifting a tentative hand to the side of my face.

"Perhaps... Teach you a lesson... Ungrateful... Out of my sight!" I caught him saying, his lips hard to read with my vision blurred from unshed tears.

I nodded shakily blinking away the liquid from my eyes.

Before I turned away he added. "Don't even think about leaving your room until I come in to take what you've lost today. After that little stunt I'm thinking two thirds of your earnings"

I signed with trembling hands Okay. 

"And use your board!"

I nod again and leave.

I reach my bedroom. If you could call it that. And collapse on my mattress.

Tears run down my face racking my body with silent sobs.

I wish I could leave.

I crave the freedom of running away.

But I know I'm not skilled enough with the runestones I've been secretly practicing and researching yet.

However there is one rune I've been wanting to try and see if I could manage to do it.

Nauthiz

The rune meaning necessity and self reliance

If I do it correctly I should see what I need or desire more than anything.

If not... well maybe I'd die and my father may get his wish.

After a minute I rise and stumbled to the bathroom.

I keep my runestones in there because it's the only room my father doesn't check daily to see if I'm hiding anything.

I enter and catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror.

The left side of my face is green from where father had struck me and in pain.

 I slowly lift my hand and graze the flesh on my face although as soon as I make contact I wince and yank my hand away.

I turn away from the mirror and pull my pouch of runestones out from where they're hidden, carefully lifting out the one with a carving that looks like a deformed 't'.

I think of the enchantment that will make the rune do it's magic and throw it into the air.

Nothing happens for a moment then a rush of exhaustion, more than I've ever felt in my life strikes me.

The room spins, my vision blurs, my knees buckle.

I drop the rest of the runestones. They clatter to the floor.

Somehow I manage to drag myself into the other room and onto my mattress before slipping onto unconsciousness.

I dream.

I dream of two warm brown eyes.

That's odd.

I've never seen any elves with brown eyes before.

Who do these eyes go to?

Are they my greatest need?

Who are they?

I have to find them.

I have to.