17.

I wake up to the sunlight shining bright in my face. I turn to my left to see Cesare’s side of the bed empty. I sit up and see him at the end of the bed already dressed.He comes back over to his side of the bed and lies above the covers next to me.

He hands me a square box with golden detailing on the edges. I open it to see an extravagantly beautiful necklace made of emeralds, like the one he gave me back in Rhyde.

‘For you my love, for today you have been mine for an entire year.’ I am astonished with this gift. I thank him repeatedly and I kiss him for a solid minute.

He flashes his smile at me and I kiss him again pushing him against the pillows. I run my hand down from his chest to down to his stomach and continue into his pants, as I fondle him, his smile appears once more. The door swings open, I quickly jump off my husband as our children race through the door.

Miles toddles though first, followed by Luca who carries the fragile three month old Layla. We both get out of bed, I take Layla from Luca, and Cesare steadies Miles before they climb back into the bed with us.

This past year has been a humble one. I enjoy spending time with my children, watching them grow and learn.

Luca is being tutored by his father, and idolizes him so much that he refuses to cut his hair so that it is Cesare’s length. Miles now had blondish hair; it was so bright you wouldn’t think he was my child, his big green eyes so distinguished from his pale face. Layla however has the thickest, darkest hair I have ever seen on a baby, her brown eyes the same dark intensity as Cesare’s.

With Miles and Layla being only a year apart, I knew that a time would come where Miles would ask me why he was different, it will be hard for him to deal with, but I’m hoping he will be strong, just because he has a different father does not mean he cant be wice the man Cesare is.

We eventually get out of bed on our lazy Sunday morning. Sunday is the only day where the city markets are empty, until midday anyway, the people lead religious lives while their queen is nothing more than a sinner.

I leave Cesare with the children as I walk peacefully through the ghostly city. I wander through the silent cobblestone streets, which lead to the sea, the smell of salty ocean air growing stronger as I turn into the city square.

As I walk nearer to the docks I hear men chattering. I slow my pace as I come face to face with the men squabbling on the shoreline. A galleon behind them in the distance with a long rowboat full of chained prisoners approaches. As the boat pulls up beside the dock the prisoners are shoved out of the boat in a single line chained together. Overall there are close to fifty slaves being prepared for auction.

They are lined up side by side, a mix of cultures and classes reduced to the lowest form of humiliation. I approach the slave traders who bow to me. I tell them I am looking to buy a slave to release into freedom. I walk the line, looking into the eyes of each prisoner.

A bearded man with memorable eyes causes me to stop. I turn and face him staring into his eyes, calling for one of the slave traders to unlock his shackles. The man is freed and immediately lunges for me, his hands brushing my cheekbones while he leans down and kisses me passionately.

His lips know the groove of mine and feel familiar. I pull away from his embrace and look into his eyes once more. I recognise the bearded face of my ex husband and hug him so tightly. A voice calls from the line of slaves.

‘Your free for half a second, and you already love another woman, I should have seen through your lies you dirty bastard.’ The cockney voice roaring from a emaciated woman.