2.

I slipped into a navy velvet dress that complimented my slim shape and dark brown hair. My hair was straight past my shoulders but some was braided around my scalp like a crown. I had left Luca to play in his room until later.

I entered the ballroom with Rodrigo who escorted me to my throne beside fathers. The thrones were raised higher than everyone else, so father can assert his dominance over all the poorer people.

The rest of the circular room was quite extravagant with a fresco painted on the ceiling of angels dancing and marble pillars rising up from the marble floors. Rodrigo stood next to me, judging and intimidating each suitor as they introduced themselves.

An hour had past and no men had caught my eye, not that I was intentionally looking for a husband. I had been here for less than a day and my father was trying to make me leave again, this was the monster I hated.

I glanced over to the door to the ballroom as it opened, the guards hustling in a late suitor. As soon as I gazed at him, our eyes met. I stood up in haste; drawing all the attention of the male suitors to me even more so.

I leaned over to Rodrigo and told him to take that man, with the mysterious eyes to Luca’s chambers.

Cesare.

How was he here? How could he be here? I was so excited yet so confused. I realised I was standing looking blankly into the distance. He was staring back at me also, baring his lopsided grin that I adored.

As I composed myself a young man with slightly ginger hair, luscious lips, enchanting eyes and an assortment of freckles approached me.

‘May we dance?’ he asked while locking my gaze. I nervously accepted his request and we began to dance to the beat of the orchestra. I felt distant towards the man I was dancing with; I couldn’t stop thinking about Cesare.

My partner asked if everything was okay. I assured him I was just tired and overwhelmed. He introduced himself as Edward: Crownprince of Rhyde. We continued dancing until the orchestra stopped.

]I thanked him for the dance as I turned around quickly, but was stopped. Edward grabbed my hand and kissed it. I blushed. I thanked him once again for the dance and continued to make my way to Cesare.

I hurried up many flights of stairs, through many passages until I reached Luca’s door. Rodrigo was standing outside the door guarding it. He opened it for me and Cesare turned around and stood up, grabbing my waist and thrusting me towards him, kissing me passionately.

Rodrigo intervened. ‘Not in front of the child’.

‘Who are you to tell me what I can do?’ Cesare argued.

'Calm down both of you, you need not argue we are family. I explained that Rodrigo was my brother and that Cesare was Luca’s Father. I did not allow the pair to meet while in Marridia as I knew Rodrigo would not approve of my relationship.

Rodrigo asked to speak to me outside I agreed only to break the tension. ‘What are you thinking bringing the father of your bastard child, who everyone believes to be legitimate, to court?’ He berated me trying to keep his voice down.

‘I didn’t ask him to come here; he came here on his own accord.’ I lowered my voice before continuing in my explanation. ‘I do not mind that he is here, I love him, and your disapproval shall not get in the way of my life. You should be happy that Cesare is here for his son, because our father sure as hell wasn’t.’ I realised I let all my frustrations out on him and I apologised. Rodrigo advised that I should go back downstairs and he was right. I went back to Cesare and kissed him keenly before I left, telling him I’ll be back later.

I walked back towards the ballroom. I bumped into Edward on the way back. I was startled. ‘Sorry to scare you, I was just looking for you, you had been up here for a while and I was getting worried’.

’Thank you, but I’m fine, I just needed some air.’ I assured him. We walked back into the ballroom together. All the eyes in the room were on us.

We made our way to the middle of the floor, where we danced until midnight. Most of the other suitors seemed jealous of our relationship, but to be completely truthful, I had no intention to create any sort of relationship with this man.

****************

The picture on the side is of Luke Pasqualino, the muse for Cesare.