16.

I awoke the next morning still in Cesare’s arms. The door to our room swung open, with Torrance flying through. I covered myself for my own discretion. My uncle grabbed the chair that was facing the dresser and brought it closer to the bed, sitting on it backwards.

‘So today you will be crowned, but the guests seem to be talking about your sexual escapade from last night…’ my face turns red with embarrassment. ‘I just didn’t want you to be shocked when you saw them, that’s all.’

I thanked him for his warning, before watching him leave. I got out of bed and brushed my hair, meanwhile Cesare got dressed in a different golden doublet than yesterday.

He helped me into a navy dress, adorned with golden stitching and appliqué.

Breakfast was served to us in our room. I ate a handful of grapes as I worried about my reputation.

Soon enough we were called on by my brother who escorted myself and my children into the golden carriage. Cesare rode along beside us, with Torrance to the other side and Rodrigo to the front.

The rest of my guests trailed behind on horseback. The trip was considerably shorter than that of my last coronation, and hopefully the day will be better. The carriage takes us through the empty streets of the sea-side town until we reach the limestone cathedral, decked out with religious statues.

The townspeople waited for my arrival in front of the church. As the carriage stopped, we were helped out by my husband. I held Miles as I turned and waved to my people.

As we walked into the church, the sound of choirboys singing echoed through the vast space. I held Luca’s hand in mine and Cesare’s in the other as he held Miles.

As we reached the jewel encrusted throne he kissed me before taking our sons to sit in the first row. Rodrigo and Torrance followed soon after and soon enough the cathedral was full of lords and ladies.

The bishop appeared shortly after and began to chant in some dead language. He pulled out my crown from a velveteen box and placed in on my head.

‘Your Sovereign, Queen Catalina of Dakragh, Queen of Marridia and Queen of Rhyde.’ The crowd stood up and cheered as I was declared Queen once more.

My prince soon escorted me along with our children to the carriage outside. I waved to my subjects as I entered the carriage and continued to do so through the carriage window.

We were quickly on our way home again. As we reached the palace all off the staff had gathered out the front to welcome me as their queen. Cesare opened the carriage door and knelt down.

‘My Queen.’

‘My prince’ I replied back, causing him to wink at me seductively.

I laughed to myself before acknowledging the staff. Torrance lead us through to the Great Hall, still decorated as it was yesterday. We were seated at the head table once again, I called my uncle to sit next to me.

‘Torrance, as queen I have a position for you, I know this is sudden, but I would like you to be the head of my army. I am not expecting a war, but I will need reinforcements when I visit Rhyde again.You are the only man who i can trust that will do what is best for me besides my own husband and brother. It is you that is most loyal to our country.'

He agreed instantly.

‘Uncle, I have another question. Was mother always this unforgiving?’ I whisper out of Rodrigo’s earshot.

He nods ‘she always seemed kind-hearted, but once you cross her you are dead to her.’

I thanked him for his guidance before he returned to his seat. The way mother had been stand-offish towards me worried me. Why was she so affected by me being in love? I decided I would visit her after the festivities tonight, to try and clear things up.

My guests arrive once more and eat their meals as they did last night. After we have all eaten I get up and talk to my guests. We chat about political things, boring things, it is hard for me being 20 years old when the rest of the nobles are in their 60’s they remind me of my first husband.

Cesare sneaks up behind me, placing his hand on my lower back. ‘These people remind me of your father.’ I whispered in his ear.

He flashed his mesmerising grin as he laughed. We eventually ran into my grandfather, I do not remember anything about him, except for his loud voice.

He is having a conversation with Torrance, as he spots me and calls me and my husband over to him. He hugs me tight, and I return it with an uncomfortable embrace.

I turn to Cesare and introduce him. ‘Cesare, this is my grandfather, Mortimer Glanden. Grandfather, this is my husband Cesare.’ The pair shares a strong, awkwardly long handshake.

I invite my grandfather to come sit with us at the head table, I don’t want him to feel alone. He came here by himself, my grandmother died giving birth to Torrance, and he hasn’t remarried after 25 years, he must’ve loved her like I love Cesare.

‘I’m sorry to hear about your father.’ He says, his musky voice ringing in my ears. ‘I’m not, he was an awful man.’

The old man laughs. ‘Thank god, your father was a villainous man, I regret letting him ever marry my daughter. He only married her to take her maidenhead you know, she was such a beautiful and virtuous woman until your father laid his hands on her.'

He clenched his fists with rage. I held his cold hand in mine.

‘Have you visited her yet?’

‘No… I didn’t realise she was here, I thought she was imprisoned.’

I clear things up for him as we walk through the shadowy halls to her room. I am invited into her room when I knock. I walk in first and she is emotionless. When her father walks through the door her face lights up. She even tried to stand up to greet him, but was unsuccessful.

The tears were flooding down her face, he wiped each one away. I decided I would leave the two of them alone so they weren’t burdened by my presence.

I wandered through the halls, back to the celebrations. I walked over to Cesare who was talking to Torrance and Rodrigo. I slid my hand down his back, causing him to turn his head and look down at me. I was so tired and Cesare could tell.

He tapped on his glass to get the guests attention. They all stopped their chatter and faced us. With his glass raised he made a toast. ‘I would like to congratulate my beautiful wife on becoming the queen of Dakragh today, and on behalf of us both I would like to thank you all for coming. Long live the queen.’

‘Long may she reign.’ The crowd bellowed back.

I kissed Cesare on the cheek, before he escorted me back to our room. As we faced the last flight of stairs, he scooped me up and carried me like a gentlemen to our bed. I could’ve fallen asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, but Cesare was kind enough to undress me to my chemise, before I did.

He climbed under the covers also, his trousers remained on, but his chemise did not. He wrapped his arm around me as I lay next to him, my head buried in his chest, my finger twirling through his abundant chest hair. He kissed my head as I drifted off into sleep.