The Show

Tonight I finally took a stand for myself.

My boyfriend passionately hates this really lovely band that plays at The Cavern, The Beatles.

He tells me their music is terrible. Tells me how the members are all Teddy Boys, rude and violent.

Because of his disdain I've only gotten so see them a handful of times, even though they play quite often.

Tonight my friends asked me to come along to see them.

And against my boyfriend's wishes I accepted their invitation.

I told him I was going and didn't stay on the telephone long enough to hear his response.

I don't live far from the venue so I decide to walk there. The air is warm still, and my walk is pleasant.

The closer I get the more my excitement grows.

It feels wonderful to be deciding for myself what I'd like to do in my free time.

I finally reach my destination and look for my friends. It doesn't take me long to locate them on the side of the stage he plays on.

I find him quite...fetching. It's just a harmless little crush...but I'm sure my boyfriend holds that against them, too.

My friends and I have a nice chat before the show begins.

Once they begin their frantic playing, our collective attention gets immediately captured.

They sound great, and look just....wonderful.

George looks exceptionally handsome today. Only wearing well fitted trousers and a white button down shirt with a simple black tie.

I seem almost hypnotized as I move myself a little closer to the stage.

I sway slightly to the music, really enjoying myself when I'm snapped back to a painful reality as a familiar hand grips my upper arm with intensity.

I feel dread flow through my veins and I turn to face him.

Gregory.....my boyfriend.....

"Why did you hang up on me earlier?" His hand somehow grips tighter. "You know I don't like you seeing these ruffians. I would never allow you to see them. You don't know what's good for you."

I feel my cheeks heating in embarrassment as everyone's eyes turn to us.

Their final song before the intermission slowly fades out, making Gregory's words seem to reverberate around the small space.

"Greg, I'm sorry, the girls-"

"Sod the girls! They're not the ones who get to decide what you do! I am!"

His voice seems painfully loud and I want to just sink into the ground, absolutely humiliated.

He begins to pull me toward the exit. Fingers digging into my arm. I know there will be bruises there.....again.