fourteen

"Jung Yejin. She has a similar first name to you, doesn't she?" Aera asked Yerin, who was zoning out for the past couple of minutes. Yerin was snapped back into reality and nodded rapidly. Aera clicked her tongue and turned to where or what Yerin was looking at.

Aera sighed, and turned back to her friend, "Did you two make up?"

Yerin slowly nodded her head. But that wasn't the thing that was bothering her.

After class, Yejin had to be assigned a guide, somebody who will help her since she just came in the middle of the school year. Jake was assigned as her guide and Yerin hasn't been able to keep her eyes off of them since.

Jake is way too nice, or at least to Yerin he is. It warms Yerin's heart but it also hurts seeing that he seems so happy when he is helping Yejin. Of course, Jake loves to help new people and guide them so they don't get lost. But it's this weird feeling that Yerin has that just breaks her heart.

Aera noticed that Yerin was staring for way too long, and she doesn't want Jake to catch her staring. She turned Yerin's head and shoved food into her mouth to prevent her from objecting.

"Yerin, is there something you're not telling me?" Aera asked while Yerin swallowed the food that was shoved into her mouth unexpectedly. Yerin slowly looked down and fiddled with her fingers, showing signs that she was nervous.

She nodded slowly and slowly looked back up, staring directly into Aera's eyes to show that she was hiding something.

"Aera.." Her voice trailed off and both of their expressions softened. Yerin had the expression of someone guilty. She was guilty because she hid it, and she didn't realize it when it was right in front of her the entire time. She didn't want to accept it.

"I like..no- I love Jake."

"It hurts. It hurt when he was ignoring me. It hurts seeing him happy with somebody else." Yerin's eyes were filling with water, they were about to overflow onto her cheeks. Yerin slowly looked down and tried her best to contain her emotions, but it was already too late.

Her tears flowed down onto her cheeks. Some of them dripped onto on her skirt and hands. "I hate this feeling so much. I want it to stop but I also don't want it to stop."

Aera lifted her friend's head and pulled her into a hug. Yerin shoved her face into the crook of Aera's neck and let out soft sobs. Soft enough for only Aera to hear and nobody else in the cafeteria.

"Is everything okay?" A familiar voice spoke. The two pulled away and turned to see Seojoon. He had a worried look all over his face. The moment he saw Yerin's tears, he sat down next to her. His heart hurt seeing her like this.

"Everything is fine. I just needed to vent something." Yerin reassured and forced a smile onto her face. Her tears were still flowing.

On the other hand, Jake was watching everything. He saw her tears flowing down since the very beginning, and it broke his heart. He wishes he could of have just gone over there to comfort her, but he had to help Yejin.

It broke his heart even more when Seojoon entered the picture. She smiled, she smiled at him, she smiled at Seojoon. He went over to check on her, and Jake couldn't. He couldn't because he had to help somebody else.

But what he doesn't know, was that Yerin was the one who needed his help the most.

That wasn't the only thing that was stopping Jake from comforting Yerin. He remembered the scene he saw of Yerin and Seojoon leaving the same place that one night. He knows that they're getting married, but he's surprised that "they're getting closer" so quickly.

___

Yerin walked slowly, not wanting to trip again and injure herself for the second time today. Her wound was bandaged thanks to Jake. But she still has to take it slow because of how careless she was in the morning.

"Um, excuse me. Your name is Yerin, right?" Yerin took a halt in her steps and slowly turned around. She was surprised by the sudden appearance of Jung Yejin. Why does Yejin all of a sudden want to talk to her?

Yerin nodded in response to Yejin's question. Yejin sighed out of relief and put a smile on her face, "You must be Jake's friend. He talks a lot about you."

She reached out her hand, waiting for handshake, "I'm also Jake's friend. Childhood friend."

Yerin hesitantly reached out and shook her hand, "Really? He's never talked about you." Yerin spoke nervously. Her aura was slightly scaring her, and she got weird vibes coming from her. But Yerin didn't bother to pay much attention to it since she has only just met Yejin.

"Yejin and..Yerin?" Jake ran up to the two girls and was shocked to see Yerin and Yejin interacting with each other. Yerin didn't want to be the third wheel any longer, she was starting to get uncomfortable.

"I gotta go. My sister is waiting for me-"

"Do you want us to walk with you?" Yejin abruptly interrupted. Yerin looked directly into Yejin's eyes and tried to tone her voice in the nicest way possible, "It's okay. I can walk on my own."

"What? You don't want to walk with us?" Yejin sounded slightly offended. She could tell that Yerin was uncomfortable and wanted to leave, but she wanted to keep pushing Yerin's buttons. Jake noticed the tense atmosphere and looked at Yejin, "Can you not do this right now or in general? Yerin has to go to her sister. Let her go."

Jake sounded extremely upset that his childhood friend was already stepping boundaries. That was what he had worried about ever since he heard that she was transferring into his school.

Jake mouthed "I'm so sorry." To Yerin. She nodded, and let out a small smile before leaving. Once she left, Jake crossed his arms and you could tell that he was upset.

"It was just a question." Yejin rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. Jake scoffed and put his hands into his pockets, "You can't do that. And not only that, can you not step boundaries, especially with Yerin?"

"It's always Yerin this Yerin that. When will you just shut up about her? You've been talking about her even before I transferred here. Not only that, she told me that you don't even talk about me to her." Yejin was visibly and audibly upset. Jake rolled his eyes out of annoyance.

"I never talked about you with them because all the stuff you do is unacceptable. Look at what you just did today with Yerin. She was clearly uncomfortable and you just kept pushing."

Jake continued, "I don't even know why you transferred here and to be honest I don't care. Just don't bother any of my friends, especially Yerin."

Jake scoffed and started walking off of school grounds, leaving Yejin alone by herself. Yejin groaned out of annoyance and rolled her eyes.

From the moment Yejin heard Jake talking about Yerin, she didn't like her. She didn't like how Yerin made Jake so happy. Yejin was jealous. Very jealous to the point she begged her parents to transfer her to Jake's school.

Yejin cursed under her breath in the middle of the sea of students leaving the school grounds,

"Park Yerin, I hate you. I hate you so much that I hope misfortune comes your way."

___