sixteen

"What did you want to talk about?" Yerin asked while comfortably sitting in her chair. Seojoon let out a big sigh and looked up at the sky, admiring the stars that gave light to the night sky.

"Your Auntie..she.." His voice trailed off. He lowered his head and looked at Yerin, who was waiting patiently for him to finish his sentence. But her expression already showed that she was worried about what he might say, all because of the word Auntie.

"She's arranging for me and you to leave overseas next week. To live overseas." His words stabbed Yerin in the heart. This was going too fast for her. She had just lost her sister, but now she is going to lose everything.

"W-Why? What about my family, my friends, everybody?!"

Seojoon lowered his head and looked at his ring finger which had no ring, "She said you pissed her off recently, and she caught you hugging Jake. She said something along the lines of "You're being disrespectful. You need to get your act together.""

The only thing Yerin paid attention to was Jake's name. "How does she know Jake's name?" Yerin asked, her desperate expression and her heart was racing. She was worried what her Auntie would do to Jake.

"She doesn't. I just know it was him because he is the only ever boy you hug." Seojoon laughed at his own words. Yerin felt her cheeks burn and flush red. She put her hands on her cheeks to try and cool it down, but it didn't really work.

Once Yerin cooled down, she let out a small smile. Catching Seojoon off-guard and his heart started to skip a beat.

"Thank you Seojoon. For telling me." Yerin put her small bag over her shoulder and stood up, "I'm going to prepare goodbye gifts for everybody. I'll see you next week."

And with that, she left, her smile wasn't as bright. Instead, it was so gloomy. It was a sad smile and you can see it from a million miles away.

Seojoon sat there, sinking himself into his thoughts. He knew it was wrong to fall for Yerin. Knowing very well that she loves somebody else and that somebody else returns her feelings. But right now, they can't be together. Who knows how long it will be until they will be together.

Or maybe they'll never be together.

Seojoon didn't want to be selfish anymore. He can't be selfish anymore. He thought to himself,

"Yerin, I will lose my feelings for you. For you. For Jake."

___

"You're leaving?!" Aera shouted out of shock. The entire cafeteria heard her and all of their eyes were on Yerin. Yerin smiled and chuckled awkwardly while pulling her friend back into her seat.

"Why did you do that?!" Yerin scolded her best friend while keeping her voice in a whisper. Aera on the other hand, sighed, blowing her bangs in the process.

"You do realize you're leaving next week right? Who knows when you'll be back!" Aera fired back, still keeping her voice in a whisper to not cause another scene. Even though Aera seemed fine by her words, Yerin saw in her eyes that her friend was devastated and heartbroken by the sudden news of her departure.

Yerin gently took Aera's hand and held it softly yet tightly, "I'm sorry. I promise I'll come back."

Her words reassuring Aera, and a smile soon formed on both of their faces. They continued on with their conversation, laughing and making jokes. Making the best out of their last couple of days being together.

___

While Yerin was walking down the hallways, she spotted Jake leaning against the wall. Scrolling through his phone and smiling while looking at pictures of his dog, Layla.

Yerin wanted to approach him, but what was the point of approaching him if she hasn't even mustered enough to tell him about her departure that will be taking place in a week?

She didn't want to talk to him just yet. Not until she is able to tell him everything.

Yerin turned around and started going the opposite direction. Not knowing that Jake had seen her in the corner of his eye. He saw she was looking at him like she wanted to approach him, but clearly changed her mind and turned around.

He lifted his head and witnessed her figure disappear out of his sight. His expression dropped and he felt his heart slightly drop. He didn't understand why she wasn't approaching him, and he really wanted to know the reason why.

Jake turned off his phone and put it into his pocket securely. He started walking in the direction Yerin went but was stopped when he felt somebody grab his wrist.

He yanked his wrist out of the person's grip and turned around. Upset by the person who was now standing in front of him, he crossed his arms and leaned against the wall. Patiently waiting for the person to speak since she clearly wants to talk to him.

"You were going to follow her, weren't you?" The girl leaned against the wall, leaning next to him. It was obvious she was trying to wrap her arms around his arm. He scooted away every time she tried to get closer.

"Yejin, can't you just leave her alone?" Jake scolded Yejin, clearly frustrated with her attitude. Yejin rolled her eyes in response and spoke words that Jake did not want to hear but needed to hear,

"She hasn't told you yet, has she?"

Jake jerked his head to his left, confused and curious about Yejin's words. Yejin felt his gaze on her and she turned to him, smirking slightly because of his expression.

"I've heard some things. She has something to tell you but clearly hasn't mustered enough courage to tell you."

"So that's why she has been avoiding me.." Jake thought to himself while looking down. He understood what Yejin meant and how Yerin is feeling right now. But Yerin usually has the courage to say the things she needs or wants to say.

Why is this different? Why is it different with him?

But his thoughts about Yerin completely came to a halt when he processed the first part of Yejin's statement. He turned his head back to Yejin just to see her smirking at him.

"Did you follow her?!"

Yejin rolled her eyes and responded coldly, "Of course I did."

Jake stopped leaning on the wall and put his hands in his hair out of frustration. He was frustrated with Yejin. He thought he made it clear to leave Yerin alone but clearly Yejin doesn't want to or will listen anytime soon.

Jake didn't want to be around Yejin anymore. He felt annoyed and sick to his stomach. He started going in the direction Yerin went.

"Where are you going?!" Yejin's voice echoed through the hallways. Jake didn't dare to turn around to look at her, but he thought she at least deserved an answer from him,

"None of your business! And don't you even dare to follow me!"

___