𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗌𝗂𝗑- 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘨𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

WALKING INTO THE library, Alex sat down at one of the empty tables and started working on his homework.

A few minutes later, somebody sat down in front of him, but he didn't bother looking up from his homework.

"Good Evening, Greengrass," said Alex smoothly without batting an eyelash.

"Could you help me with my homework?" Daphne asked, putting her homework on the table.

"No formalities?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Friends don't need formalities."

"I'm nobody's friend, Greengrass."

Daphne frowned. "And what about Draco? You're his friend."

"I'm not his friend, either."

She stared at him in thought.

"Are you done staring?" Alex finally asked a few seconds later. "I believe it's time for you to leave."

"Thank you for the help," she rolled her eyes sarcastically and stood up, then stopped, looking at him again. "I will figure you out one day, Riddle."

"Is that why you won't leave me alone?" He leaned back on his chair and crossed his arms. "Don't you have anything better to do?"

"Nothing as interesting as trying to figure you out."

"That seems a bit stalker-ish, don't you think?"

Daphne shrugged, unbothered by his blatant insults. "Take it however you want, Riddle. I've got one question, however. Do you remember a few years ago? We danced together for the first time at the ball my parents held. I was the one wearing the—"

"Green dress," Alex cut her off. "Yes. I remember."

And he did.

And she looked beautiful.

And they danced together.

And for once, Alex actually had a fun time.

It was just a year after his mother's death and he had gotten an invitation from the Greengrass family to attend the ball, and so he did.

And ever since then, they started having at least one dance together every ball.

Neither tried to stay in contact with the other, however. It was just one dance— once a year. Nothing more.

Daphne nodded, hesitating. "I didn't know who you were back then. I looked forward to the next ball. And then the next. And last year, when you started attending this school, I immediately recognized you."

"As did I," replied the boy nonchalantly, but it was obvious she had his non-divided attention.

"I was shocked when I found out your last name. Why did you never say anything at the balls?"

Alex frowned in thought, not knowing how to reply. "I don't know," he replied honestly.

Daphne nodded a few seconds later. "I understand," she mumbled and finally started walking away, but it was obvious she didn't understand.

Alex didn't understand either.

«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶

"I apologize for never telling you my last name. Or my first, for that matter."

It was now midnight and Alex walked into the empty common room, and even though it was late, he noticed a figure sitting by the fireplace and recognized her immediately.

Daphne turned around at the sound of his voice and smiled softly. "It's fine."

"And.. and for ignoring you the whole year."

"That's fine, too."

He sat down on the couch, not near her, but not far either. "I didn't think you'd remember. That was why I didn't have a reason to actually talk to you."

"I understand."

He nodded, suddenly quiet.

Then, he stood up and cleared his throat, avoiding eye contact. "I should go."

She nodded, watching as he walked to the staircases leading up to the boy's dorms.

And just before he fully left her, he said, "Not a word about this conversation to anyone, alright Greengrass?"

Daphne blinked in confusion. What was so wrong about them talking together? Nevertheless, she nodded.

And then he left.