𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒 𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇- 𝘸𝘢𝘳

"ALEX, WILL YOU be alright?" asked Daphne as the boy was getting ready. It was now the day of the battle.

Alex nodded, putting his wand in his pocket, then walking up to her. "I'll be okay. Will you be alright without me tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Daph, I think it's best for you to go to your manor tonight. Your sister might need you. Your parents won't be home— they'll be joining the war— so you'll be fine. I'll tell the Dark lord to send a few trusted death eaters over, just in case something happens to you. I don't want you to be alone in this manor."

Daphne nodded slowly, biting her lip anxiously.

Alex put a hand on her cheek, stroking it with his thumb gently. "You'll be alright. Will he be okay?" He put a hand on her stomach, smiling when his son kicked.

Their son would be born in a month or two, something the betrothed couple was looking forward to.

"He'll be fine," smiled Daphne. "As long as you'll be okay."

Alex withdrew his hand, then put his arms around her waist, while she put hers around his neck and put her head on his chest. "I'll be fine."

"Promise me you'll come back."

He didn't reply, then pulled away a few minutes later, taking her hand and kissing the back of it. "Are you sure you don't need anything?"

"Would you stay if I told you to?"

"I won't ever leave again after tonight. I promise."

She nodded. "Take care, Alex."

«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»

Walking into the living room, where his father was waiting, Alex grabbed a glass of whiskey, drinking it in one gulp. "Let's go."

Tom didn't follow, looking at the boy. "Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Alex, this is war. Are you ready?"

Of course he wasn't.

Who would be ready to take dozens or hundreds of lives?

Who would be ready to go into war, not knowing if they'd survive or die?

Who would be ready for a war itself?

"Have you always believed power meant more than a woman you loved and a son?" Alex asked instead of answering his question.

Tom didn't seem too pleased about his question getting ignored, but replied nonetheless, "Yes."

Alex scoffed.

"Do you love the girl you're betrothed to?" The man asked. "Do you feel anything for her, Alex?"

"She's the mother of my child."

"Other than that."

He glared at the man. "Does it matter?"

"You can't feel love and nor could I. Power made me feel something, Alex. I needed it."

Alex pointed to the cut on his cheek, not breaking eye contact with the man. "What would mother think if she knew how you treat me?"

Tom's jaw clenched immediately. He looked away from his son's eyes.

"What would she think if she knew her son was being forced to join a war he wants no part in?"

"Your betrothed and your son are going to be safe. Like you wanted. You joining a war is the price of your weaknesses, Alex."

"Maybe," shrugged Alex. "But I do not regret it. I do not regret having something I care for."

"Let's go," said Tom before putting his glamour on and grabbing his son's wrist, apparating out of the manor.