Chapter 12: The Grand Escape

Ray pulled on his jacket, still dazed and a little confused. Thoma and Lani were cautiously placing sausages, frozen meat balls and other meat related food on the oily clothes Ray had pulled off; while Emma waited patiently for the latter to finish changing, her back facing him.

Just when he was about to inform Emma that he was done, the dining hall door swung open, seemingly by a huge force, but it didn't cause a bang.

This was unexpected, Emma stood frozen stiff, her eyes darting around in panic, had Mama discovered them already? But Thoma's voice interrupted that thought, "Y/n?!"

At the mention of her name, Emma and Ray both spun around to look at the pale, panting female, she was already dressed in departure clothes, signalling that she was ready to escape. The H/C-nette wiped her sweaty neck, shot a glance at Ray in the corner, and surprisingly burst into tears.

"Y/n — what happened?!" Emma cried, panicked.

Without warning, the H/C head barreled into Ray, engulfing him in a tight hug. Her tears ran freely as she shouted at him.

"You idiot! Why — why would you even think of planning to die for the sake of us?!" She sniffed between sentences, hiccuping as she clutched onto a surprised Ray's clothes. Emma exchanged a look with Thoma and Lani, the panic within them extinguished quickly as they understood the reason for her outburst.

"If — if brother didn't find out about this... you could've died! No one would know! I won't be able to live knowing I lost two of the important people in my life..." She sank down onto the floor, weakened with her emotions.

Ray didn't think he'd feel more guilty than he already does, but seeing Y/n make a face like that and it was because of him... it broke his heart. The ravenette kneeled down to her, wiping away her tears and pulling her into a hug, reassuring her that he wouldn't do anything of the sort.

"Sorry, Y/n... I wasn't thinking. I won't do it again."

She slightly pushed him away and pinched him, glaring at him with her puffy E/C eyes furiously, "'Again'?! There won't be a chance where you try to kill yourself again! If you try it I'll bring you to life just to kill you again!"

"Ouch, that sounds brutal."

Emma and the two 7 year olds decided to let the two lovebirds have a moment, which didn't went unoticed by Y/n. She smiled at them gratefully, before taking Ray's hand to get up, which he had extended to her after standing up.

"See, I told you Y/n would be mad." Emma made a face at Ray, who stuck his tongue out.

"Emma! We're done over here!" Thoma and Lani said simultaneously.

Y/n tagged along beside Ray who was led towards the two boys, her nose was still runny from crying, and she had made a promise to herself that she was going to stay by his side all the time so he wouldn't have a chance to run and try to kill himself.

Frowning, Ray asked, "What's this?"

"Your replacement." Lani answered, holding up an empty package of sausages with a face that acted as if that was the most obvious thing, "Norman said it's better than having nothing."

"It'll create a certain smell." Thoma added cheekily.

Ray scanned the oily scene in front of him, but paused when he saw familiar blonde braids in the pile. His eyes widened in disbelief, "Those braids..." Emma nodded, "Anna gave them to me." She then turned to him, reaching out her hand as she added, "All that's left is the tracking device. I'll take it out, so sit with your ear toward me."

As Emma pulled out a small scalpel to take out his tracking device, Y/n stared at them, pouting, "I still don't get why everyone knows about Ray trying to kill himself but me... If I didn't find brother's note in your bag I wouldn't have known."