Chapter 25: Rallying Up

September 2031.

"His corpse?" said a silvery voice.

"We haven't found it yet," replied his colleague from the other end of the receiver. The person whom the first voice belonged to growled. 

"Find it," said the first voice, scowling as his grip on the phone receiver tightened. "We have to make sure, even if all we find are bones." The person on the other end of the call made a noise of agreement and hung up.

The silvery voice belonged to a young man of nobility. He had straight, long white hair that curled slightly at the tips. Menacing green eyes glared his servant's way as he handed them the phone. The servant cowered at his stare.

He turned on his heels and made his way down the empty corridors that lay in the mansion he resided in.

Brother, he sighed. I betrayed you.

I pretended to agree with you and sent you to your death. But brother... you also betrayed me, the clan, and the human world.

Calling yourself William Minerva... Not only did you encourage the children to escape because of your futile sentiments and self-satisfaction... you went so far as to give them such a place.

You wanted to bring children to our world?

You must've been out of your mind.

That massive settlement... is a base for the children who will revolt!! You went too far, big brother. A shelter may be overlooked. But that place cannot be allowed to exist.

I am the 36th head of the Ratri Clan. Peter Ratri.

I will mediate between the two worlds from now on and keep the promise. This is all to ensure peace for the humans! I won't let any of the livestock children cross over to this world.

And I'll kill any child who wishes to do so.

Through the hallways went the young man, till he stopped in front of a huge pair of double doors.

That's why I...

He pushed open the doors with a smile -

"It's been a while, Lord Bayon,"

In front of him stood a glamorous demon, dressed in jewellery and royalty clothing. The demon turned, facing the petite Ratri.

"I have something I'd like to discuss with you."

January 2046.

Staring at the drawer in front of her, Emma felt conflicted. Would the answer they need be in there? Or would it be yet another failure, just like the elevator, as the traitor took it away?

Mr Minerva hid all the details, Emma took in a sharp intake of breath, everything he needed to give us inside this drawer.

She reached out her wobbly hands and gripped both the handles, determinedly saying, "Let's open it."

Swift as ever, she pulled the drawers open.

Lucas frowned. "It's empty."

Emma nodded with a grin. "That's good. Otherwise, it'd be way too easy to find. If it was too obvious, it'd be taken away. By the person who betrayed Mr Minerva." Lucas nodded.

"That's why Mr Minerva hid it. Inside this drawer that seems to be empty," said Emma as Lucas helped her remove the drawers. "There has to be something. A hidden compartment or a mechanism."