Chapter 29: The Final Battle

Sweat rolled off the side of her pale face, shock hitting her with a pang, her eyes going wide as she stared at the scene ahead of her -

"Just... what the hell is this?"

In a huge space underground was where Lucas and some of the older kids helped tend to the injured children. The younger one could be seen running around, passing medical supplies and holding up lamps for the older kids, so that they could see better when fixing up open wounds. Multiple voices rang around as they shouted out instructions and requests -

"More gauze!"

"Okay!"

"You're gonna be okay. Hang in there!"

Violet's frantic eyes darted around, stopping on her three unconscious friends. Her breath hitched, Oliver, Gillian, and Zack!

Pepe, upon noticing Violet's arrival, turned to her and instantly began pouring out the updates of their current situation. "He's still barely breathing, but since Y/n got him here early enough, he's gonna be okay." Violet, though pale, felt her breath starting to even, after hearing so. Lucas turned to her abruptly, saying, "What about Sandy and the others? How are they?"

Upon hearing so, Violet snapped out of her dazed expression, information bolting out from her mouth. "That's right! Could those who are strong enough help me? Our team was defeated too. All three are in critical condition. They need to be brought here immediately!!"

"I'll go!" volunteered a boy.

"Me too." chimed a girl.

"Same! If I can be of any help..."

A panicked sweat rolled down Pepe's face. Even Sandy's group? Dammit! What about Nigel, Emma and Y/n?

Violet quickly gave the three volunteers information they needed. "Don't worry, there are no more monsters in the forest. Once I give you the location, I'm returning to the village. You guys can handle the rest."

"Okay!"

Pepe, after finishing up with Zack's wounds, turned to the younger children. "I'm heading to the village, too. Can I leave them in your care?"

"Yes!" came the instant reply.

And so, he grabbed a gun and rushed up the ladder.

Lucas looked around frantically, anxiety pooling up in his stomach. All that's left now is Leuvis. We have Emma, Nigel, Y/n, Pepe with his injured right arm, and Violet. It's not... 

"Lucas," Violet's abrupt call for his name snapped him out of it. "There's something I need to tell you."

He frowned, sensing the importance.

Pepe, with his right arm in a flexible cast, and a gun in his left arm, dashed out of the sliding doors of the space underground the windmill, making his way towards the exit.

"Adam!" he called, not looking at the doors as he fiddled with the gun that settled wonkily in his arm. "Can you open the doors?"

Though he was met with no response nor the sound of doors creaking open. Pepe looked back up, expecting to see Adam, by the door, only to find the spot absent of the boy's presence. He stopped, shocked.

"Adam?"

Smoke, a lot of smoke. The whole place sizzled with smoke from the impact of the gunshots. Number of bullets laid sprawled on the ground, trailing all the way from a lanky hand, where a few bullets sat on its palm, some falling out from between its fingers, hitting the ground with soft 'clinks'. Blood dripped from a small wound, which was resulted by a bullet graze.