Chapter 15: The Attack

Y/n whirled around and cupped her hand to her ears, listening intently as Emma immediately rushed to where she heard the eerie noise. "Emma!" Lani exclaimed upon seeing her run off. Y/n frowned when she heard the sounds of thumping and leaves shuffling around, what could it be? Have the pursuers already caught up to them? If so, they needed to hurry. And fast.

Emma turned the corner, and her face went blank when she saw absolutely nothing there at all, there's nothing there... Was it only my imagination?

The other kids stared into the tree-root-hole they came out of, shivering and hugging themselves to keep warm. The air outside was definitely colder, much colder than before. The roots that were slithering and snapping moments before were all laying still, as if they were normal roots.

"So the roots are all weak against the cold." said Alicia, pulling her scarf up to her nose. "That's why they stopped moving." added Yvette, shuffling closer to Y/n, who patted her head.

"It's so cold here, though." whimpered Mark. He wiped away a snot that was dripping from his nose. "Yeah." stuttered Rossi, "Colder than where we fell." Chris let out a sneeze and Jemima paced around, hoping to capture heat. "It's the same forest," Dominic said, "but the temperature is so different." Anna agreed, nodding, "Yeah."

"Maybe because there's no sunlight coming in." she wondered out loud, referring to the lush tree leaves that blocked any source of heat to enter the woods. "Even so, it's really cold." Dominic mumbled, putting his tiny hands together and rubbing them.

"So then," Gilda spoke, "as long as we're on this cold ground where there's no sunlight... we have no fear of getting attacked by those roots and falling underground?"

"Probably." said Y/n, joining the others and Emma came back from where she went to.

"Well then! I'm glad it's winter!" Don said enthusiastically, "Or we would've been eaten!"

"Actually..." said a smirking Nat as he flipped the pages of the book, Adventures of Ugo, "seems like the hole doesn't open up unless it's winter. The books says Alvaperina is a legendary cave that one can only enter in winter." Don's face went blank, its colour draining as he held onto the book Nat gave him, nearly combusting internally from rage. "It would have been better if it wasn't winter." said Gilda with a soft smile, placing a hand on Don's shoulder.

"But thanks to that, we found out just how unpredictable the outside world is and what this book means for us." Emma said, gathering everyone in. "A guide book." said Y/n with a smile. "Yup." Emma grinned, "Hidden in the stories are various hints on how to survive the outside. Dangers and how to deal with them. The enemy's weakness. And -"

"Emma! Found it! This is it!!" Ray suddenly shouted from his spot.

Y/n turned around, the latter was rushing to the back of a tree, looking breathless and glad. Intrigued, the group of kids followed him and found plump, colourful anemone-like plants growing in little groups, just by the tree. There were many other 'anemones' dotted around the place. They stared, confused on why Ray out of all people would be so excited about this. Y/n suddenly lit up, letting out a gasp as she snatched the book from Don's hands.

"Uh, what is this?" Nat spoke up.

"Water." said Ray, grinning.

"What?" the children chorused.

"Look, guys." said Y/n, flipping open the book to the pages where there were pictures of anemones that can store freshwater. Everyone peered at the book as she explained, "Anemones that store freshwater. This way we can get water source without going to rivers."

"But anemones?!" Don shrieked, "That's disgusting!"

"Watch, you crackhead." said Ray as he took out a pocket knife and a empty jar from his bag. He then sliced open the anemone on the side carefully. And with a loud 'squirt', water came pouring out of the plump anemone, deflating it in the process.