IV

Ashton's picture holy fuck I can't breathe

Please enjoy xo

..

Jacqueline was a goddess, smiling at me when I stepped inside La Perla five minutes before eight in the morning. Despite the uncomfortable sleep last night, I woke up energetic and ready for the first day at work. And after three or four cups of coffee, I was buzzing with energy.

"I like you," she smiled and patted my shoulder, pointing behind the counter. "Today you'll be at the counter. If I like you even more, I'll probably make you in charge of the lingerie section."

Well, then. I didn't exactly want the lingerie section. God knows what I'd deal with. However, I couldn't let her down after the chance she gave me. I nodded and she beamed, satisfied.

I stood behind the counter and dropped my bag on the chair, only taking my phone in my hand in case anyone calls. But I was kidding myself, who would call aside from my sister? And she wasn't going to disturb me, knowing that I'm working. I was in for a long, first day without any events.

A sly part of me hoped that the band was still here, and that he might want to be in the mall again.

"Good morning." I spoke brightly to a woman that just stepped inside. Her gaze slid over me somewhat coolly before her lips softened with a smile.

"I'm looking for the petite girl that works here? Anna maybe?" she frowned.

"Oh, um, you mean Hannah?" I promoted and she chuckled, nodding with an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry. I don't know if she's here or not. It's my first day here. If you want, I can help you instead?" My nerves were fried, but I kept my cool on the outside.

"Okay." She nodded and fetched a card out of her bag, sliding it across the marble. "You see, this Hannah working here said this gift card expires after six months, but I came yesterday and she told me it expired. I just got it like...two months ago. So I either need another one, or someone smarter to fix this."

Holy shit. And I was supposed to be the smarter one?

"Give me a minute." I took the card and pressed a button Jacqueline told me it was connected to her office inside. She appeared right away, her face contorted in boredom.

"What's the matter?" She asked a little too sweetly, which assured me she was fuming on the inside.

"Ah, apparently Hannah gave her a gift card and it expired earlier than its time." I explained in a small voice. Jacqueline freaked me out when she was angry and assessing. Dear god she was worse than a school principle.

"Hannah," she sighed and took the card, turning her smile to the woman standing in front of the counter. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'll fetch you a new one and give you a %50 discount for two weeks." The woman beamed and nodded.

"Let Elizabeth help you with what you want while I setup a new card." And then she was walking back inside.

"Scary, isn't she?"

"A little." I admitted and she laughed.

"I need to take advantage of the discount," she smirked and started to rummage in clothes. I don't blame her. If I had a one like this I'd probably fill five bags with different types of clothes.

Jacqueline appeared a few minutes later with a new sliver card and then joined me behind the counter, typing furiously on the computer and I took note of what she did. She shoved the card in an envelope and placed it on the counter, looking at me expectantly.