Chapter One

Potions. A lesson you knew all too well and hated far too much. It was mostly due to being a Hufflepuff, but if your parents had a say in what house you were in they would both agree that you were a pure-blood Gryfindor. Every single ancestor you had, or at least knew were all sorted into Gryffindor: Your parents, your grandparents, your grandparents' parents, etc. But here you were, a kind, loyal Hufflepuff. Just being related to your parents got you in Snape's bad books, not to mention not even being sorted into the same house as them. In his mind, you were nothing but a laughing stock.

You couldn't wait for the boring class to end, your (E/C) scanning the room only to lock eyes with your friend, Valerie Black. Not only was she your best friend, but she was also a potions partner which was an insane advantage on your part. She was the smartest person in your year next to Hermione Granger, a Gryfindor you had to personally admire. Mostly for dealing with Harry Potter, let alone Ron Weasley. Once your eyes had connected you both let a mischievous smile tug on your lips, a glint of joy flickered across her eyes as they sparked with an idea.

Nudging you lightly she giggled whispering in your ear, "Hey (N/N)... wanna do hang in the library after classes?" nodding rapidly a wide grin spread across your face. Normally when she suggested this, you would both hide out till everyone had gone to sleep and head to the astronomy tower. Looking at the stars was a joint-favourite pass time of yours, it reminded you of home. Though you'd never thought to ask her, humming to yourself you decided to ask her why she liked the stars so much. Looking away from her stormy eyes, you turned your head only to come face to face with a very angry-looking Professor Snape.

Your smile dropped as you felt your heart sink to the pit of your stomach, gulping hard the corner of your mouth turned up slightly as you looked up at the oily-haired man in fear. "Y-yes professor?" you asked sheepishly, you were met with a glare as he stood up straight. "Ms (L/N), I suggest you keep talking about after school activities... after classes..." he droned on as his gaze moved from you to Valerie, raising an eyebrow at the brunette, "I expected more from you as one of my students" his tone seemingly disapproving. 'At least I'm with a Slytherin... if she was a Gryffindor I would've been toast just now' you felt a wave of relief flush over you at the thought, Snape strutted back to the front of the class, spinning around at rapid speed to glare at you both.

"Class dismissed" he grumbled angrily, obviously upset with the lack of attention the students had been paying to the lesson. Students rushed to pack their things, the room was practically empty by the time you and Valerie had gotten up to leave. Making a hurry of things you got out of there as soon as you could, best friend by your side as you walked to your next class. "It's Defence Against The Dark Arts next right?" you asked, not fully remembering the schedule even though it was halfway through the year. "Yeah" she responded shortly, she seemed to be lost in thought about something, giggling you nudged her "you, NEED, to stop having a crush on Snape!" you teased shamelessly. Her eyes widened, her mouth dropping in surprise as she flusteredly waved her hands around "Stop saying that!!! even the thought of it's gross!" she stuck her tongue out in disgust. Both of you laughed your way to your next class, happier than ever.