Chapter Fourteen

The second he sat down next to you, you felt his hand lightly hold your back, lightly rubbing circles in an attempt to calm your tears. You were still trying to understand everything that had happened, in such a short period of time, you had written a letter he didn't need to open, he had taken you back into his study immediately as if you hadn't ever done anything to hurt him. All the guilt that flowed through you was expeditiously being replaced with worry, a hint of confusion following slowly behind. No matter how hard you tried, all you could do was continue to question everything you'd ever known to be real. Everything you'd convinced yourself to be the truth, withering the second you could search for an answer to it.

"(Y/N)," he spoke your name with such love, his voice so tender it warmed your heart. You looked up to meet his gaze, his tears were dry while yours stayed in a steady stream, cascading down your rosy cheeks. "Are you alright?" The question shook you to your very core, unsure of how to answer as you once more averted your gaze to the table. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?" Your voice was barely a whisper, coming out more sad than you had intended it to. You felt his grip on your shoulder tighten slightly at the words. You took in a deep, shaky breath, releasing it after a few seconds in an attempt to calm yourself. "We have a lot to talk about." 'How can he be so kind? I hurt him...' Hearing him stand up from his chair, you looked up to see him make his way to behind the corner where you had assumed a kettle had been placed.

A weak smile placed itself onto your features as you watched him return, two cups of tea in his hands as he came back to you. Placing the tea down, he sat in front of you, his body turned to face you. Analysing his features, you could see his hair- though always wild- was messier than usual, somehow less kept than the last time you'd be alone with him. Slowly, as if you were could shatter into a million pieces, he placed a careful hand on your cheek, his thumb gently rubbing away a few fresh tears that had fallen without your notice. Feeling your heartbeat quicken, you leant into his palm, feeling his warmth.

He let out a soft, content sounding sigh. His beautiful eyes gazing into your dull ones, his emotions were clear without him even needing to try to tell you. You let out a quiet, dry laugh, taking him by surprise. "Is there-" He stopped himself with a smile, "I think we've done this before." Your smile grew a little wider, unable to stop the cheerful feeling that rose up inside you when you were alone with the chocolate-loving man. "I do believe so..." You glanced fleetingly at his lips, missing the feeling of them on your own. Like a force was controlling you, you both leaned forward at the same time, eyes closing almost in sync as you let yourselves give in to your desires.

It was a sweet kiss, his hand still held its place on your cheek. You had moved your hand up to meet his chest, feeling his heavily beating heart against your palm. He pulled away from the kiss, placing his forehead against yours. "I love you..." Taking you by surprise for a moment, your eyes widened as you felt everything you'd felt for the man before you had been validated, in that one very moment. Crashing your lips into his once more, you wrapped your arms tightly around his neck, the two of you desperate for the other touch. You had finally got the confirmation you needed. Out of breath, you both pulled away, breathlessly smiling at the other. "I love you too, Remus." the words left your mouth easily, three words you had wanted to say for so long finally weighing off your chest, easing your mind of so many worries you never needed.