5. Salazar Slytherin

The Slytherin girls stayed up most of the night, getting to know each other.
Tessa and Artemis were already good friends, because their parents often got together at parties, so they'd been hanging out with each other for years.
Unfortunately for Genevieve, the others had a lot of questions for her, since she was raised in a different country to them. So she got good at expanding on the lie her and Gellert had created.
And after a lot of subtle questions, Genevieve also found out that all of her roommates were Grindelwald supporters.
Alexis was rather indifferent about him, but Artemis and Tessa completely agreed with Gellert's goals and ideas.
Although Genevieve wanted to tell them who she really was, now that she knew which side they were on, she couldn't, because she had promised her uncle that she would keep her identity a secret.

In the morning she headed down to breakfast, where she was met with another fabulous selection of food.
She sat down beside Tom, as the two of them had made plans on the train, to tell each other everything they had learned about Hogwarts. So that they wouldn't feel so in the dark.
"Morning" yawned Genevieve.
"Good morning. Did you have a pleasant sleep?" Asked Tom.
"It was alright. Me and the girls were up most the night, talking and getting to know each other" answered Genevieve.
"The boys did the same, although I doubt we stayed up as long as you, since boys don't chat as much as girls do".

Genevieve picked up a piece of toast from the rack, and began to butter it.
"So, what have you found out so far?" Questioned Genevieve, through a mouthful of toast.
"I got the other boys to tell me about Salazar Slytherin, who's house we are in" informed Tom.
"Go on" encouraged Genevieve.
"Well, he was the most powerful founder of Hogwarts, who left the school because the others wanted to admit Muggle-borns to the school, which was something he didn't agree with"
"My roommates told me that Mudbloods don't get put in Slytherin. So that fits with what the founder believed in".

"It also means that I have to be a pure-blood or a Half-blood, since Muggle-borns don't get placed in Slytherin... There is also a rumour that before Salazar left, he created a hidden room called the Chamber of Secrets, which he placed a monster inside. Apparently it's been opened by his descendants several times, despite the school looking for it, and failing to find it" revealed Tom.
"Sounds a bit like a legend or a myth to me, so I doubt it actually exists" replied Genevieve.
"If it's been opened before, it has to be real. And everytime it gets opened, Muggle-borns die, because the monster kills them" informed Tom.

"Sounds a bit dark" mumbled Genevieve, as she took another bite of toast.
"I think it's cool... Salazar Slytherin could also talk to snakes, which is something I can do to. Apparently being a Parselmouth is quite a rare gift, since not many people can speak to snakes" boasted Tom.
"Maybe you're related to Slytherin" sniggered Genevieve.
"Yeah, maybe I am"
"I was only joking, but nevermind. You certainly found out more about our house than I did".

"Did you learn anything useful?" Quizzed Tom.
"Not really. I learned a lot about my new roommates, because they all like to talk about themselves. Except for Alexis, she's a bit more resigned, not as much as me though" admitted Genevieve.
"Evan Rosier has a sister in your room" replied Tom.
"Eileen, yes. She seems nice, they all do. But if I'm being honest, I still prefer your company, because I feel that we are more alike"
"The feeling is mutual. I have nothing in common with the other boys"
"Since we are going to be living in close quarters with our roommates for the next 7 years, we should try and befriend them, even though we are nothing alike"
"Yes, you're right".

A few minutes later, their head of House; Horace Slughorn, brought around their timetables.
The pair instantly began scanning the parchment to see what they had first.
"Potions with Slughorn" recited Tom, when he found it first.
"I guess we will find out what our head of house is like, very soon" replied Genevieve.
"I intend on making a good first impression"
"I think everyone does, since it's our first day"
"I must try harder than most, to prove that I'm worthy of being in Slytherin. I don't know my parents, and no one recognises my surname, so I have to make a name for myself"
"I guess we are in the same boat, since no one knows who I am either"
"I suppose we are".

"Are you thinking of joining any extra curricular activities this year?" Asked Genevieve.
"I don't think so. I will probably be too busy trying to be the best in every subject. I also have my own personal mission to complete" informed Tom.
"What kind of mission?" Questioned Genevieve.
"I need to find out who I am. My mother named me after my father, so his name would be Tom Riddle as well. So, I'm going to search all the past records, to try and find him. I need to know where I came from"
"That sounds like a good idea. The school library should have everything you need to start your search, from what I've heard about it. Although part of it is restricted, and you can only enter with a teachers permission".

Tom smiled, "That sounds like a challenge".
"Do you really want to get caught breaking the rules on your very first day?" Frowned Genevieve.
"No, because I don't plan on getting caught. Don't worry, I'll check the normal section of the library first. But if I can't find what I'm after, I will do whatever it takes to get inside the restricted section" revealed Tom.
Genevieve sighed, "Well, I don't want you doing it all alone, so I will help you with your quest to find yourself".
"I do not need your assistance, I can do this on my own" insisted Tom.
"Tough, because you've got my help, whether you like it, or not".