Pilot 7

I walked back towards the house, thinking I had gotten away with not being confronted by JJ.

I was wrong, of course.

JJ came running over as I headed up the stairs, picked me up from behind and tried to carry me back down to the fire pit.

"I think it's my turn for a chat." He said as I scrambled to get out of his tight grip. I elbowed him in the side, making him let go of me with a groan.

"Enough with the attempted kidnapping. I have a better idea," I said as I walked inside. I went to my room, and grabbed my smoking bag and a jersey so I wouldn't freeze. I also took the beer from a stash under my bed; alcohol doesn't last long with JJ and John B around, so I always have to be prepared.

I walked out with the bag in my hand, and JJ ran for his life. He's like a drug dog wherever the weed is JJ's there. He caught up to me and said, "We going?"

"Yes, you idiot, go grab the camping shit." I laughed

Whenever we feel like getting away, JJ and I go for a smoking sesh up the coast. It's some random beach that we've named the pogue hole. Kie and I ended up spending a lot of time there the past couple of months. After Dad's disappearance, I hated being at home with all the reminders.

I went to get the boat ready and made sure we had enough fuel. Jax came running when he heard the boat start up, with JJ not far behind him. We headed off as John B walked onto the dock. I laughed at his joking, almost annoyed expression and pulled out my middle finger. He returned the favour and smiled.

-

JJ made a small fire on the beach for us, and Jax was off sniffing around the tree line. As I started to get myself comfortable, Jax brought the biggest branch that he could hold in his mouth over to us. I had laid out the mat we brought to sleep on and started rolling a J. I was halfway through the second one when JJ sat down across from me and started talking about John B.

"Look, Lucy, you understand that John B is the best friend I've ever had right? He's basically the closest thing I have to a brother,"

I had to interrupt him before the whole 'you're like a sister to me' speech happened. I said," JJ Maybank, are you seriously getting soppy on me right now? Look, it's nothing okay. I know that nothing will come of this stupid crush. Which is all this is, by the way..."

This made him crack a small laugh.

"it will end up with everything going back to the way that it used to be. You'll find yourself a tour-on, fall in love or more likely get her pregnant, and I'll move to the mainland for college. It'll all work out." I said as I sparked up and laughed at his face in response.

"Hold the fuck up, no way you get to drop a bombshell like that and expect nothing to change. I was trying to say that you've always been a little sister to me. That's why I lost my shit when Topper pushed you over. I will always protect you."

I took a long drag, finishing my joint and lay down on my back. I was looking up at the stars, admiring that more seem to appear no matter how long you focus on them.

"What are you thinking about, cupcake?" he snickered. JJ loves to call me that stupid pet name. He has done it ever since we were little. On my fifth birthday, my brother and JJ started a mini food fight, and I ended up with cupcakes all through my hair. It took two days to get the food colouring to wash out. For some reason, JJ will never let me live that down.

I didn't even bother to look at him when I replied, "Don't start with that stupid name. You just told me that this stupid crush is gonna change shit, but you still see me as a little sister. What does that even mean?"

He looked over at me. His face was serious. "It means that I don't see you as a little sister anymore. My perspective has changed." I had to hold in the laughter, trying to escape my lips. This was the only time I've ever seen him act genuinely serious; it was hilarious to me.

He got up from the mini sandcastle that he'd made by the fire and sat down next to me. I'm guessing his high started to kick in because he was chomping down on some chips I brought in case we starved. My eyes were focused entirely on the sky now.

The different constellations and galaxies have always fascinated me. No matter what was happening in my life, all I had to do was look up at the night sky, and it all just seemed to turn so small in comparison.

"What's so interesting up there?" JJ asked as I was deep in the middle of my thoughts.

I replied, confused and almost startled, "What?"

"What are you looking at, dumbass." He questioned, laughing under his breath.

"Oh, um, the constellations. You know Hydra, Draco, Virgo." I replied, pointing out the star configurations. The smile on my face growing when he started to show genuine interest. He moved to lay down beside me and looked cluelessly into the sky.

"Since when were you into stars?" He grinned sarcastically. JJ thinks he knows everything about me, but this is something I had kept to myself.

We ended up lying there and talking about the galaxy and aliens for hours. JJ tried to convince me that JFK had discovered alien life and had to be assassinated as a result.

"This is nice," I announced and instantly regretted it.

-