Enough 8

It can be such a shock, waking up in an unfamiliar place. The different sensations of Egyptian cotton sheets and silk pillowcases, mixed with a ceiling fan, confuse me every time I sleep over at Kie's. Little did I know how familiar that room would become.

That morning was a blur of freshly made pancakes and chit-chat over the table. Meaningless blabber flowed out of my mouth, trying to steer clear of the obvious topic that needed to be addressed. Mike had left for work early, making it just 'the girls', which meant I had no escape from the million questions flapping around Anne's head. 

A very long and very awkward pause followed me repeating how excited I was to return to work, we all knew I was dreading it. Eventually, Ann finally spat it out. "Lu. My dear, whatever he did to you, whatever he said to you. Don't let yourself think for a minute that you deserved it. He is sick with grief and needs help. We will get him help." Her motherly instincts were shining through at that moment. Although she was a very stubborn woman with an obscure outlook on life, she was the closest thing to a mom I had. So, naturally, I bawled my fucken eyes out. 

I just sat there. Without a word being said. Crying. 

I went to work, down at the pier, that day. I was simply tidying up and reorganising things. It was like my body took control and I wasn't actually participating in any work. Until I saw him. I was standing outside the shop, washing down the bait bins, as he walked straight past me. There was no pause, no recognition, he didn't even look me in the eyes. My guess is he was going to talk to Ward, probably to beg for his job. Ward refused to allow wanted men anywhere near his boats. 

A genuine scoff came out of my mouth as I watched him walk away. I was such an idiot for still worrying about him. He was clearly fine on his own. Therefore, I needed to be fine too. 

After that so-called encounter, I was back in control. I knew exactly what I was doing and what I needed to do. I messaged Ann, explaining I needed to work later than expected and hitched a ride to the outskirts of the cut. It wasn't abnormal for me to ask one of the local Pogue's for a ride, I would jump on the bed of whoever's truck and feel the warm sea breeze whirl past. It's almost a form of therapy for me. Putting trust in a stranger and in return my faith in Mankind is restored for a short drive. The old man, Nick, dropped me off basically on JJ's doorstep. 

JJ's house was modest, to say the least. It was old and clearly weathered from the sea salt, the lack of maintenance didn't help either. I stood at the door and hesitantly knocked, slightly concerned I would be welcomed by JJ's old man. The door swung open and JJ's bright face immediately dropped. 

"Oh. Hey Lu, wh-" He spoke.

"Hey," I cut him off, "Can we talk?" 

"Yeah, sure. Just not here." He walked down the steps, gently placing his hand on my back to pull me away from the door. "Old man's in a mood." I walked beside him down to the small beach at the bottom of their lawn. A small row boat made for a perfect place to awkwardly lean and try to avoid eye contact. 

"Have you seen John B?" I asked, unsure of how much information I should give him or what he already knew. 

He paused for a second, "No I haven't, thought it best to leave him to cool off." He looked concerned and gazed deep into my face. I couldn't look up at him. "Why?"

"I wanted to come and say goodbye to you. Though it would have been easier if he had come here, like I thought." I paused for a moment but JJ spoke before I could continue.

"Lucy, what the fuck do you mean. You're not going anywhere and neither am I. Why would you need to say goodbye?" He had stood up straight and pulled me to face him. "What happened-" His words got caught, "He hit you?" His voice broke. 

I looked down to avoid his gaze, he could see the forming bruise on the side of my eye, "I've moved in with Kie and don't expect to be seeing you around." My voice cracked a little, "He needs you JJ, please help him, I can't do it anymore. I hate him too much." 

"He fucking hit you." He clenched his teeth. 

"Yes, he hit me. He slapped me across the face like I was a child acting up. You can hate him for it if you really want but we both know he needs someone right now and I can't do that. You don't have to choose between us anymore, okay? I decided for you. Help him, help your best friend because he is going to end up mad, or worse." I was pacing around close to yelling the words coming out of my mouth. "If you won't do this for me, do it for him." 

He slumped down on the boat and looked up aimlessly. "He fucking hit you." his words sounded more like a groan of pain. "Who even is he?" 

"I don't know anymore," My anger disappeared at the sight of his discomfort. He looked as if he was about to cry. "But, I'm done with this shit." 

"I'll help him. Not for him. For you." He spoke, still looking to the sky. 

"Thank you, JJ."