Enough 9

I realized very quickly my plan was foiled. I hadn't figured out a ride back from the cut. So, shamefully, I walked for hours along the dark streets. JJ had left to find John B. Before I could ask for a ride home, he said "I'll see you around. This isn't goodbye yet cupcake." And walked down the beach to the track that led to the Chateau. I was glad that John B wasn't my problem anymore. I could live selfishly, I needed to.

As I slowly made my way through Figure Eight, a familiar truck drove past and pulled up a block ahead of me. I thought to myself; Fuck. That's Topper's truck. Fuck. I need to run. Then, a short sun-bleached blonde jumped out of the passenger seat. "Hey, it's Lucy right," Sarah spoke. "You need a ride somewhere?" She approached confidently.

"Uh, I'm okay. Thank you though." I replied, cowardly.

"I can't leave you here all alone, please let me give you a ride." She was standing directly in front of me now. "Where are you headed anyway? looks like you're a long way from home."

"I'm going home." I gritted my teeth and then hesitated for a moment. "Bug off, I'm fine. The only thing I would be in danger of is your boyfriend and his pack." I scoffed.

She stepped back slightly, clearly uncomfortable but not backing down. "Well, the pack are out tonight. I'm trying to help you, seriously. Topper is about as happy about this as you are," Her voice turned soft.

"Fine," I replied, my feet were sore and I just wanted a shower and something to eat. I climbed into the excessively sized truck and didn't speak a word.

Topper turned and smirked at me. "Where to Routledge?" He announced.

"231 Blue Marlin Lane," I replied confidently.

"You Live with Kiara?" Sarah questioned concerningly. "Since when?"

"I moved in a few days ago." I looked out the window. "Hey, you're going the wrong way." I sat forward and leaned onto Sarah's headrest.

"Just a small detour first, you'll get home. Don't worry." Topper replied slyly.

Yes, I am an idiot, well aware of that now but being wreckless was my specialty back then. We drove for ten minutes or so, to the other side of Figure Eight, where Topper lived. I quickly realised what was happening and tried to jump out of the car, but the doors were locked. "Are you fucking kidnapping me?" I yelled. "Sarah you fucking bitch." She looked at Topper pleadingly, clearly as uncomfortable as me.

We approached Topper's house and quickly things made sense, they were having a party. I would be the entertainment. "We aren't bringing her Topper." She said. I had to figure out a way out of there and fast. I knew there was no use in fighting, I would be outnumbered by a lot. I needed to be smart and play my cards right.

"If you wanted to invite me to a party you could've just said so." I laughed, "You got any drinks in the front princess?" A very egotistical grin found its way onto my face. She hated being called princess.

Her face was both full of disgust and pride as she handed me a Whiteclaw. I really was hanging with the upper class. We only drank beer on the cut. "Don't you think John B would have an issue with you partying with the big kids?" She laughed.

"Who's that?" I questioned ironically. I was taking the whole 'He's dead to me' thing very seriously.

"I like her." Topper said as he jumped out of the truck and made his way inside.

-

Originally I planned to make a run for it the second I had a chance, but something inside of me wanted to know what it was like. What their lives looked like. So for one night, I would pretend I didn't hate them, and enjoy being rich.

As I stepped out of the truck, the music and laughter from the party filled the air. The house was large, with people spilling out onto the patio overlooking the beach. I followed Sarah inside, feeling a mix of excitement and fear. The atmosphere was different from the cut—more polished, with a hint of sophistication. I couldn't help but notice the stares and whispers as I walked through the crowd. I was like a lamb in a wolf's den. I quickly found myself a spot on the couch, simply people-watching and trying to stay hidden.

Sarah joined me, looking genuinely apologetic. "I didn't mean for it to go this way. Topper can be" She paused for a moment, "Impulsive." a sigh left her mouth at the word. I understood her, he was like John B and didn't think things through.

"It's fine," I said, forcing a smile. "I'm here now, might as well make the most of it. How-"

Suddenly, a voice from behind interrupted me. "Well, well, if it isn't the princess of the pogues herself," said a smirking figure. I turned to see a tall, dark-haired guy with an air of arrogance. "Sarah's plus one for the night?"

"Chill, Rafe," Sarah interjected, shooting him a warning look. "Lucy didn't choose to be here- and yes, she's my plus one, so play nice."

Rafe raised an eyebrow but didn't press further. Instead, he gestured toward the makeshift bar. It was a beer pong table covered in expensive, top-shelf, bottles. "Drinks are over there. Help yourself."

I nodded in acknowledgment, not wanting to show my discomfort. As I approached the bar, I noticed the array of drinks that were completely foreign to me. I hesitated for a moment before grabbing a random bottle of champagne. Might as well go all in, I thought.