The Tower

Doing magic purposely in front of Arthur felt so strange. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, Merlin could still hardly believe that his secret was out. After so many years of hiding, it was unreal to be able to be himself so openly.

Merlin had wanted to tell Arthur the moment he'd announced the change in the law, but Gaius had cautioned him to give it some time. He'd said the King needed time to adapt. Despite this warning Merlin's patience had run out inside a week and now here they were.

It could have gone better, but it could have gone a lot worse too. Merlin knew Arthur could think of nothing but Gwen, still he was glad he hadn't waited any longer. For Gwen's sake he believed he'd done the right thing.

When morning came, Arthur announced his intention to go to the dark tower alone. Merlin was in no way surprised when all of the knights pledged to accompany him. Arthur still didn't understand the loyalty he could inspire in others.

"She's a damsel in distress," Gwaine said by way of joining up. "I was born for this moment."

Then Arthur looked at Merlin. He didn't say anything, but there was something in his eyes. It was like he was asking permission to tell the others.

"If you aren't going to lob my head off then I feel certain they won't," Merlin smiled at his friend.

The knights looked confused until Arthur gestured to the fire and Merlin repeated the fire trick he'd shown the King last night.

When the glowing embers of the dragon faded once again, every eye was on Merlin.

"Someone's been lying to us a long time," Percival said.

"As I learned last night," Arthur added. At that every knight turned to look at the king as if for instructions.

"Merlin is with us," Arthur said. "He has made me a promise to help save the Queen and I believe he will honour it." With that Arthur indicated it was time to leave and every knight gathered their swords and mounted their horse.

They rode in silence, travelling as fast as their horses would allow until the dark tower came into sight. Arthur explained the only way to reach the tower was through the impenetrable forest.

"Well that sounds impossible," Merlin commented. "Is there no other way?"

"None," Arthur stated, before leading them onward.

Before long they had left the horses and were making their way slowly on foot through the thick vines and undergrowth of the forest. The only event of note was when Gwaine got his cape caught leaving behind a scrap of fabric.

All the while Merlin was trying to think of a way to get them through faster with magic. But all his attempts to magically destroy the vines to make a path amounted to nothing.

"Can't you burn them?" Arthur asked.

"I've tried," Merlin said. "The vines resist all my attempts to destroy them."

"Ending any doubt that this is in fact a magical forest," Arthur sighed.

Percival's sword gave out then, breaking in half. Merlin offered his sword as a replacement and they kept going.

When Gwaine inquired as to how Arthur knew which way was north, his explanation of the ivy leaves pale and dark sides facing different ways, felt wrong to Merlin.

"I think we're going the wrong way," Merlin said. He then focused forward and used his magic to look ahead through the forest to see where they were actually headed. He could sense more than see Arthur's eyes on him. Now that the King was looking for such signs, Merlin couldn't help but wonder if Arthur had noticed his eyes glow.