The Curing

Just moments ago Merlin had been dying, and yet now he was planning a trip to see a dangerous being that might know how to save Gwen. It was insane, but it gave Arthur hope. With Merlin alive and well, his chances of saving his wife were rising by the hour.

When Merlin returned from the Dochraid's cave, his news brought even more hope to Arthur's heart.

"So there is a way to heal her!" Arthur exclaimed, after Merlin told him what he'd learned.

"Yeah but summoning the White Goddess?" Merlin asked, skeptical. "I'm not sure I can do that. And even if I could, we'd still have to actually get her to the Cauldron, and she won't go willingly. Then she has to go into the water of her own free will, which she also won't want to do."

Listening to Merlin talk about how impossible the whole thing was - especially since he started with doubting himself - made Arthur understand for the first time what Gaius had said. It really was only Merlin who doubted his power. Everyone else Arthur had ever heard speak about Merlin did so with awe.

"I have a way to get her to the Cauldron," Gaius said to counter Merlin's pessimism. "And I believe that once there, Arthur will be able to reach the part of Gwen that remains true."

"Even so, I'm not sure-" Merlin began, but Gaius cut him off.

"I know you are more than strong enough to perform the ceremony once we get there."

"What is your idea for getting her to the Cauldron?" Arthur asked, deciding to side with Gaius on this matter. After all he'd seen, he had every faith that Merlin could perform the spell.

"Tincture of belladonna, sire," Gaius replied. "It puts the patient into a deep sleep."

"Patient?" Arthur inquired.

"It is generally used for the badly wounded," Gaius replied.

"How long does it last?" Arthur asked.

"A few hours," Gaius explained. "It will have to be administered several times a day to provide continuous sleep."

"But for no more than three days," Merlin said, chipping in with his same pessimism from before.

"It is true that it shouldn't be taken for an extended period," Gaius admitted.

"Or what?" Arthur asked. Gaius seemed to hesitate, but Merlin was less reluctant.

"The body will not tolerate it," Merlin said. Arthur thanked his friend for telling him what Gaius had clearly been trying to skirt around.

"The Cauldron is less than three days' ride from here," Gaius said.

It wasn't without risk, but what were his other options? The woman he loved was lost to him already, and his kingdom wouldn't last long with a highly trusted spy at its center. He had to trust Merlin. The idea of doing nothing was unacceptable. Arthur had to get his Queen back; losing her meant losing everything.

"We leave first thing tomorrow," Arthur replied. "We can't bring too many knights or it will look suspicious, but I want someone else to accompany us. I think Mordred is the right person to ask, seeing as he is the only one of the knights who is already aware of the Queen's betrayal. Not to mention his magic might be helpful as well."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," Merlin replied.

"We don't have time to get into why you are so distrusting of Mordred right now," Arthur said. "Him coming makes the most sense, and we will need help."

"But sire-"

"He's never done anything to warrant your dislike. Unless there is something you aren't telling me?" Arthur inquired, giving Merlin a pointed look. Arthur felt sure there were still things Merlin hadn't revealed about the magical side of his life, even if only for the simple reason of forgetting to mention them. Ten years was a long time to accumulate secrets.