The Attack

When the scouts returned with the news that Morgana's army was both larger and moving faster than they'd expected, Arthur started to wonder if their landslide plan was too dangerous. Morgana may not care for the safety of her men, but Arthur valued the lives of his own. An attack such as that had great potential to hurt them as much as their enemy.

"Are you sure you can time it right to avoid hitting the knights?" Arthur asked Merlin again.

"For the thousandth time, yes," Merlin sighed. "That isn't the thing to be worrying about here. You are destined to die in this battle, Arthur! You have to think of yourself."

But Arthur ignored him. A king served his people, not the other way around. It was his job to fight for them, even if they were outnumbered five to one.

"Also, be wary of Mordred," Merlin continued in a quieter voice. "Even if he fights on our side at the moment, that doesn't mean he can't change sides."

"By that logic, I should be suspicious of all my knights," Arthur scoffed.

It was getting dark, and Arthur knew they would have to stop soon or risk traveling in total blackness. Then he remembered a certain ball of light.

"We can make better time traveling at night," Arthur said. "Can you light the way so we don't have to stop?"

Merlin nodded, then raised his hand and whispered words Arthur couldn't understand. That same glowing ball of light he'd last seen in the knights' training grounds appeared in Merlin's palm. He lifted it up into the air and whispered more magic words as he illuminated the knights' path from above.

"The only problem is that I can't make it hidden to others," Merlin explained. "We are highly visible to anyone looking for us."

"I'll take that chance," Arthur replied. "If it means beating Morgana to the pass."

Even with Merlin's light, there came a time when rest was necessary. The horses needed water, and the knights needed sleep, but thanks to Merlin's light, they would only need to rest for a few hours before starting on their way again.

Arthur was having a hard time imagining what this day would have looked like without knowing about Merlin. Not only would they be going into battle thinking hope was all but lost, but they would also be making much slower time without his guiding light. Arthur knew Merlin would have tried to help from the shadows like he'd done for so long before, but there was something about his being able to assist openly that made Arthur feel better about their chances. However this battle ended, he knew Merlin would be on his side.

They started moving again before dawn with the help of Merlin's light but were able to continue without the magic light once the sun had fully risen.

When they arrived at Camlann, Arthur was pleased to see no sign of Morgana. He ordered his men to make camp, set up their defenses, and prepare. At once, Merlin called a group over to start work on the falling rock traps. Arthur couldn't help but be proud of his men as he watched them work. Every one of them knew they could very likely die, but still they put everything they had into preparing for the battle.

By nightfall, all was ready. The tents were pitched, the traps set. There was nothing left to do now but wait.

Arthur was in his tent, going over the plans one more time. Hearing someone come in, he looked up to see Guinevere.

"You have gone over those more than enough times," his wife told him. "You need rest."

"How can I rest knowing that at any moment the battle to decide the fate of my kingdom will start?"

Guinevere moved closer and pushed his papers away, before leaning in to kiss him. "A well-rested king is a strong king," she whispered in his ear.

Despite the battle ahead, Guinevere had a way of keeping him calm. Reaching forward and placing a hand at the nape of her neck, Arthur kissed her again. His other hand held her waist, pulling her in closer to him as he deepened the kiss. She, in turn, wrapped her arms around him.