The Future

When Merlin had told him he wanted to start babysitting a dragon on a regular basis, the king had been highly skeptical. Arthur would never have imagined that a mere year later, that same dragon could be an asset to his kingdom. Aithusa came and went as she pleased now without incident. She often returned to Merlin but would then be gone for weeks or even months at a time. Even when she wasn't around, just the knowledge that Camelot had a dragon done wonders for Arthur politically. His enemies thought twice before picking a fight with not only the kingdom with a court warlock, but also the kingdom with a dragon. His allies had been reassured by the display of power, that is, once they'd gotten over their fear. Merlin's teaching Aithusa never to hunt Camelot livestock had been a great help in this area, along with the dragon's overall gentle nature. Some citizens had even been brave enough to approach her, though only with Merlin nearby. Arthur remembered well the first time he'd witnessed such a thing. A little girl held high in her father's arms had reached out to gently stroke the dragon's cheek. Arthur had been surprised by the look of intelligence on the animal's face as it closed his eyes, clearly enjoying the sensation.

Some days, Arthur almost couldn't believe the world he lived in. His biggest surprise, however, had come when the dragon learned to talk. The first time he'd heard that odd echoey voice coming from the small white dragon, Arthur had nearly jumped out of his skin. Merlin, on the other hand, had looked at the animal like a proud parent.

Camelot sure had changed since his father's time. Arthur knew with perfect clarity that if Uther were here, he'd be more than just appalled by how his kingdom was being run. He'd be downright murderous. So much had changed in just the year since Arthur had rescinded the law against the use of magic. Merlin was, of course, still Court Warlock, but they had another full time magic healer on staff now as well. The last two knights Arthur had added to his ranks both had some magical ability. Arthur had found it helpful on more than one occasion to have someone on patrols who could do magic, even if their magic was nowhere near as powerful as Merlin's. Upon beginning his acceptance and understanding of magic, Arthur had learned quickly that Merlin's magic was far more powerful than most. He also knew that Merlin was far more ridiculous than most.

But today was not the day to chuckle over his crazy friend's actions. Today, Arthur had a different problem. His wife had been acting very odd and he was starting to worry something was wrong. Lately, Arthur had often caught her taking long naps in the middle of the day. Most nights she ate almost nothing at dinner, and what little she did eat he sometimes saw her throw up. Despite his belief that she'd tell him if she were getting sick, Arthur couldn't help but worry when this carried on for more than a week. Whenever he asked her if she was alright, Guieneve always replied that she was fine with a somewhat forced smile. Unable to simply let it go, Arthur decided to go right to the source, but Gaius wasn't any help.

"Talk to your wife," Gaius just said over and over. "As a physician, I can't say what my patients wish me not to tell."

"I'm the king," Arthur reminded him.

"Makes no difference," Gaius replied.

Arthur had left in a huff. He knew there was no use in asking the queen directly. She would always reply the same way. She was fine and better than okay, but she didn't seem better than okay to him. It wasn't normal to sleep all day and throw up your food all night.

Asking Merlin if he knew anything revealed the same results as asking Gaius. The only difference being that Merlin had a dopey grin on his face the whole time.

Pretty soon, the anxiety was starting to affect his ability to think. Thoughts went round and round in his mind until he finally decided enough was enough. He would just have to make Guinevere tell him what was wrong.