The Friendship

To have Guinevere back was a joy beyond description. Arthur planned to take her on a romantic picnic just as soon as she had recovered from her ordeal. In the meantime there was one other matter to attend to: Merlin.

Arthur couldn't deny his magic had been more than helpful at saving Gwen and as magic was no longer outlawed he felt no pressure to have his friend executed. Still it didn't sit right with him. Merlin had lied to him for the better part of ten years and now that the queen was safe it was time to deal with that.

Arthur went to speak to Gaius thinking it a good place to start or maybe he was just putting off talking to Merlin.

"What can I do for you, sire?" Gaius asked as the King walked into his chambers. "Is Gwen alright?"

"Yes she's fine," Arthur replied. "I've come to speak to you on another matter." Gaius didn't reply as if he were waiting for Arthur to explain so he continued. "I have come to talk to you about Merlin. On our trip to rescue the Queen, Merlin informed me that he has magic and that you know about it."

"Impatient boy," Gaius sighed. "I told him to wait."

"Yeah well since when does Merlin do what he's told?" Arthur replied.

"Since never," Gaius laughed.

"Merlin has always been at my side," Arthur said. "Always even when he really didn't need to be. Without him I'm not sure if we'd have been able to save Guinevere, but he'd been lying to me for so long. I was hoping you could offer me some guidance."

"It was quite a few years ago now," Gaius began. "But do you remember what I told you after I was rescued from Morgana's torturer?"

Arthur did remember, but still he remained silent, wanting to learn what it was Gaius had to say.

"I told you that within this great kingdom there are more than you know who believe in the world you are trying to build and that one day you'd learn just how much they'd done for you," Gauis reminded him.

"And you were talking about Merlin?!" Arthur balked. The same Merlin who spent his time in the tavern, stumbled into traps and was once outwitted by a rat.

"Yes, I was talking about Merlin," Gaius explained. "But I am also talking about all those who allied themselves with Merlin. And by association, you."

Despite witnessing Merlin's magic quite a few times now Arthur couldn't help thinking about every time Merlin had done something idiotic or clumsy or foolish. Like the time he'd got them caught in that trap over rabbits. Had all that been a lie as well? He couldn't quite reconcile the two versions of his friend he knew into one.

"Merlin isn't just a sorcerer," Gaius explained. "He is said to be the greatest sorcerer to ever walk the earth. The Druids call him Emrys. The legendary Catha have pledged their loyalty to him. Even the Great Dragon is within his power to command. The only person I've ever met who doubts Merlin's power is Merlin himself."

"It's just a lot to wrap my head around," Arthur said, putting a hand to his forehead.

"The only thing that matters," Gaius continued. "Is that you understand that Merlin is and always has been your loyal friend. He would rather die than leave your side."

"Why?" Arthur exclaimed. "What have I ever done to —" But he stopped. He'd almost said what had he ever done to deserve such devotion, but that wasn't something a king should say.

"Maybe it's best you talk to Merlin," Gaius said wisely.

"Just feels so strange now," Arthur mumbled.

"I can understand that. But I assure you, he is the same Merlin he's always been," Gaius smiled at him.

With a slight nod of thanks, Arthur left the room. He knew Gaius was right. It was Merlin he should be talking to, no matter how strange it felt.