{Chapter 8}

Running after the crow's cries. The blackbird led the group to a dark manor. You all stared at it with uncertainty.

"An old mansion..." Tanjiro thought aloud.

'I don't like this place...'

"What a disgusting smell." You hear Tanjiro's body shiver in discomfort.

"Smell? What about that unnerving sound?" Zenitsu chirped up.

'They have better senses than me... but still, I'm not dumb enough to go in there! ... Or... am I?'

*sniff, sniff*

The faint sound tickled (Y/n)'s fluffy ears as they twitched towards the sound.

Looking towards the sound she saw 2 kids hiding away from her and the group. Their trembling eyes met her's. (Y/n)'s heart sank as they jumped away in fear. Almost instantly, (Y/n) turned, jumped and grabbed the fabric of Tanjiro's haori with her jaw.

The sudden yank startles him and almost draws his sword on (Y/n). But thankfully he didn't.

"(Y/n)? What's the matter?"
Said fox continued to pull on his haori towards the children. Eventually, he got the hint and looked up from the little fox, and finally noticed them.

"Children!? What are they doing here!?" Zenitsu squeaked.

(Y/n) let go of Tanjiro so he could go calm them down.
(Y/n) sighed in relief when they relaxed.

But... the sound of Zenitsu's words is what made her tense up.

"Hey, Tanjiro... that sound is getting louder."

*Bong*

The sound of a drum echoed everyone's spines. Giving them chills.

*Bong*

Its louder strum made all eyes wide and stare at the withering building.

*Bong*

*Bong*

*Bong*
*Bong*
*Bong*
*Bong*
*Bong*
*Bong*

No one could breathe until...

*BONG!*

The balcony doors slam open. And a bloodied man was thrown out.

In an instinct (Y/n) transformed into a human and rushed towards the falling man. When she had him in her arms; she came to a halt. Carefully placing him on the ground, so she could look at his wounds. Tanjiro ran towards the pair to try and give them a hand.

But both Tanjiro and (Y/n)'s chests' tightened with a burning pain.

"His... wounds..."

'Are too horrific for him to live... I'm... so... sorry...'

A small bit of (Y/n)'s tears could be seen spilling from her mask. The injured man looked at (Y/n)'s tears before looking towards Tanjiro.

"E-even thought I m-made i-it out of t-that hell-whole, I'm s-still gonna d-die?" His breath stopped there.

'He's dead...'

"This man, is he your older brother?" Tanjiro asked the children.

"N-no! Onii-San has a bright orange kimono!" The young boy held his little sister close keeping his eyes locked shut.

'So, there are more people inside!' (Y/n) looked at the boy in shock.

Tanjiro stood up and walked towards the two children. And gently placed Nezuko's box in front of them. "Whatever happens this box will protect you." He stood up straight and turned to you now in fox form.

"Hey wait! Where did that cute Miko go!?" Zenitsu looked around.

'That Miko is me, you idiot. How did you manage to not see that? I literally transformed in front of you.' You looked at him as if he had three heads.

"(Y/n) will also protect you! So there is nothing to worry about!" Tanjiro continued to reassure the children.

"Well Zenitsu, let's go!"

"Wait! I'm not going in there!"

"We need to! We need to help them!"
Zenitsu just violently shakes his head. To Tanjiro's discussed.

"Alright then..."

'Wow! I had no idea Tanjiro could make such a face!'

"AHHHHH! OK! OK! I'LL GO! JUST PLEASE STOP MAKING THAT FACE!!" Zenitsu got dragged behind Tanjiro as they when into the blood-soaked mansion.

*scratch, scratch*

'Oh! Nezuko wants to say "hi"!'

"Ah! Run!"

'Why are running?'

You watched the kids for a second and then realized that they were running towards the mansion.

'Wait... OH NO!'

In an attempt to stop them you ran straight at them, but you were seconds too late! And the door of the mansion slammed shut.

You just ended up crashing into the door or before you had time to stop.

'Ow...'

*Bong*
*Bong*
*Bong*

'That does not sound good... Should I go in?'

*scratch, scratch*

You turn on your haunches towards Nezuko's box.

'Wait! I can't leave Nezuko alone! Oh no! YOU BETTER KEEP THEM SAFE TANJIRO! I don't see Zenitsu doing anything.'